Part two from Juanita Test

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Here is a series of a GBH taking off and flying to the tower. This was a good test as the shot is heavily cropped and the heron flew against the busy background of the buildings and trees before it landed in the tower. The camera tracked perfectly. Yes the white is blown but I was trying to test the focus and thus I was not as worried about the proper exposure.

Cleared for takeoff.

original.

View attachment 19917

View attachment 19918

View attachment 19919

View attachment 19920

Houston we have landing

View attachment 19921

Then the last shot is of a coot in the golden light of the late afternoon

View attachment 19922

Thanks for taking the time to look and HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Looking good to me Jim
    all are sharp and crisp
    like the last GBH shot the best

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images. He looks like he is headed for the heavens. Really on a mission.
    Coot is pretty also. Nice light you had.

5. Great shots as usual Jim.

Did you have a TC on the 500mm?

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Jim -

Very nice shots! My favorites are the flight shots against the water and sky backgrounds. And best of all the great landing shot on what looks at first glance like the beds of nails that people lie on. Beautiful natural bird behavior and weird human behavior; great contrast and irony. Now, if you tell me that you were really thinking thoughts like that when you took the photo, well, how can I put this delicately, you would be lying. :tongue:

I'm looking forward to shooting Juanita next Friday. Please don't scare the birds away!

Gordon

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

More good examples of the focus fix. As to the A1 setting, have you tried FPS Rate + AF? This is what I have found to works best for me on the D2H. One other comment. I have found when shooting GBH's that you need to underexpose by about 1/3 to 1/2 stops to prevent blowing their cheeks. Of course, I had the benefit of taking only about 20,000 shots of these guys before I figured that out. :rolleyes:

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

OK, Frank, you've got a job in February - teach me all the things to get your GBH shots. I'm under orders from Harry to bring back your secrets!

I may be a minority of one, but darn it those cheek feathers are a very small part of the bird and they are white. From a distance you couldn't see detail there anyway. So why not get the exposure for the rest of the bird correct? IMVHO I think this looks better except for close-up portraits.

Gordon

9. Thanks all. Gordon, I was will Bill Dewey this am and he said you guys were going to Juanita next Friday. It is a good spot if things are happening. I knew when I took these shots that I had blown the whites. It is hard when one minute you are shooting dark birds and the next white one. We do not often get the herons in flight. I agree it takes practise. Oh yea one other thing we are not used to seeing the sun here. It has been dark and foggy for a long while. I hope you and Bill have fun and get lots of great shots.

10. Ron, I did not use the TC on these. I was thinking I had a lens problem with my focus and so I did not want to add any thinkg else to the mix. I also wanted to test the focus against the busy background. Having the subject smaller made it easier to complete the test.

11. Frank I have tried that setting but for me at least the first one seems to work better more of the time. I first tried this after reading Moose Petersons settings. I went out with Bill Dewey today to see the Trumpeter Swans and had lots of targets. Again the simple FPS setting worked the best.

Also, I really need to start trying to use M mode to keep the setting more consistent. In A mode there is just too much difference to the meter from shooting low to the water and then high up to the sky. I will work on this over the next month. Thanks for the tip.