1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Partial cure of a recent LL attack

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Frits, Mar 26, 2005.

1. First off, I am very fortunate to have top-quality Nikkors throughout the focal length range, giving me 17 - 200mm reach.
    My recent LL attack had me longing for a 300 / 2.8. In the end I just could not justify the big $$$ for an AF-S.

What I did: A couple of weeks ago I went eBay and got me a pristine Ai ED 300mm 1:2.8 manual focus version.

Reasoning: I understand folks use mf lots anyway (other then the AF-S version, perhaps); built like a tank; razor sharp.

Result: Drastically lower LL for an AF-S :)  (at least for now); enjoying the challenge of MF and, most often, manual (incident) metering (sometimes center weight/spot with my D1x); great results (getting the picture is what it is all about, right?); I have some $$$ left to feed my family - happy wife, healthy kids.......:) .

All my pics in my introduction were shot with this beauty (see here: https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=1635 ).

Here are a few more, as I am getting used to it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :) 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Those are great shots Frits. And you have the added bonus of the metering and focusing challenges, making the keepers that much more rewarding.

Hmm, maybe I should sell my AF-S glass...

3. WHOA!! The owl shot is very nice Frits.......what exactly is he doing with feathers puffed out like that??? :? :? :? :?

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Fritz. I do use the 300 2.8 AF-S, for the same reason the Paul mentions (flying birdies), but I've gotten so frustrated with the metering system, what with the birds flying from a light background into dark, then against the sky, that I shot some today in manual mode. Got pretty good results too.... 8)

These are most impressive. I don't think that my eyes are good enough to do it with MF though.

Regards,

Frank

6. Hey Frits, congratulations you will love it. Nice images to break it in with. I too have the 300mm f2.8 only mine is an AF I. It's a super lens.

7. No experience with flying subjects yet. That should be a handful! I would think I'd prefocus some and certainly NOT shoot at or near wide open.
    I shoot with a D1x.

He was just done making himself pretty and had a good shakeout. After that he had this look for a few seconds, then the feathers settled down to usual.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.