Partial cure of a recent LL attack

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Frits, Mar 26, 2005.

1. First off, I am very fortunate to have top-quality Nikkors throughout the focal length range, giving me 17 - 200mm reach.
    My recent LL attack had me longing for a 300 / 2.8. In the end I just could not justify the big $$$ for an AF-S.

What I did: A couple of weeks ago I went eBay and got me a pristine Ai ED 300mm 1:2.8 manual focus version.

Reasoning: I understand folks use mf lots anyway (other then the AF-S version, perhaps); built like a tank; razor sharp.

Result: Drastically lower LL for an AF-S :) (at least for now); enjoying the challenge of MF and, most often, manual (incident) metering (sometimes center weight/spot with my D1x); great results (getting the picture is what it is all about, right?); I have some $$$ left to feed my family - happy wife, healthy kids.......:).

All my pics in my introduction were shot with this beauty (see here: https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=1635 ).

Here are a few more, as I am getting used to it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Those are great shots Frits. And you have the added bonus of the metering and focusing challenges, making the keepers that much more rewarding.

Hmm, maybe I should sell my AF-S glass...

3. WHOA!! The owl shot is very nice Frits.......what exactly is he doing with feathers puffed out like that??? :? :? :? :?

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Fritz. I do use the 300 2.8 AF-S, for the same reason the Paul mentions (flying birdies), but I've gotten so frustrated with the metering system, what with the birds flying from a light background into dark, then against the sky, that I shot some today in manual mode. Got pretty good results too.... 8)

These are most impressive. I don't think that my eyes are good enough to do it with MF though.

Regards,

Frank

6. Hey Frits, congratulations you will love it. Nice images to break it in with. I too have the 300mm f2.8 only mine is an AF I. It's a super lens.

7. No experience with flying subjects yet. That should be a handful! I would think I'd prefocus some and certainly NOT shoot at or near wide open.
    I shoot with a D1x.

He was just done making himself pretty and had a good shakeout. After that he had this look for a few seconds, then the feathers settled down to usual.