pass the carrion please

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Oct 17, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll

Last month I ran into a pair of crested caracaras in the wetlands parking lot. They had just found a not so recently departed carcas of a bird. Naturally I had to grab a 100 shots or so. It was during the early morning of an overcast day. I didn't have much light so I shot these at ISO 500 and 620. I used my 80-400VR lens because I was shooting at fairly slow shutter speeds and if I tried to set up my tripod my subjects would have left. To make it real comfortable it had recently rained heavily and I was standing in a few inches of water.

caracara #1 starts chowing down and cc#2 comes over to see what's happening
    [​IMG]

"looks good", "it is good go away"
    [​IMG]

"you don't mind if I take a piece"

[​IMG]

"the nerve, I'm outta here"

[​IMG]

"she's gone I can have a quiet meal"

[​IMG]

"I keep hearing this clicking sound"

[​IMG]

"its that yahoo with his camera again, time to head for the tall grass

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent series Harry. Guess I should have gone to lunch with you after all. :eek:

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nice Nice series of shots Harry. I haven't seen one of these birds posted here before, If they have I missed them.

Great sequence, and good job metering.

Wade

4. I like the way the right bird stand in the third shot, getting his leg forward but taking a good look at the other bird to see his reaction.

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Frank. As long as your peanut supply holds out you are going to miss these shots. :biggrin:

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Cool sequence of shots Harry. Kinda gross, but cool shots, just the same. Hope I get some of these guys when I'm down there for the winter.

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Wade. It was tough metering those shots but Ron Reznick's training paid off. They ahve been a number of Caracara shots posted before from the various Merritt Island shoots.

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks, that third shot is my favorite in the series.

9. Cool series Harry. I've never seen this bird before...

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Steve,

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them. You should be able to get shots of them when you come down. They are regular visitors tot he wetlands. In fatc the wetlands parking lot has been closed because the caracaras are building a nest in that area.

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Glad you liked it Jim. The caracra hangs out mainly in Texas, Mexico and parts of Florida. Its a member of the falcon family and its main diet is carrion.

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

nice stuff Harry
    never seen any in the wild and only on your posts, it always strikes me as there to pretty to be vultures!

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Ben,

They are hawks not vultures. They just eat like vultures. :smile:

14. Great series and subtitling Harry. These were one of my favorites when I was down the last time

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Mike. The caracaras are nesting at the wetlands now so i'm seeing them just about everytime I go out.