Passerinis Tanager - Female

"Like the title says, I believe that this is an Ocher-bellied Flycatcher. However, I'm certainly no expert so feel free to correct me if I have the ID wrong."

Edited to correct the ID: I sure got that one wrong - but I am sure it won't be the last bird I miss-identify. :rolleyes:

According to the guide I was with in Costa Rica, this is the female Passerinis Tanager, also known as the Scarlet-rumped Tanager. Which makes sense when you see the male. I have some pics of the male, and will post those soon.

My thanks to Reinier, Larry (Fishbio) and others that helped id this gal.

Ochre-bellied Flycatcher_sm-7.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
It's not an Ocher-bellied Flycatcher (where did you dig up that?) which is a S. Mexico and Central American sp. I'm thinking Scarlet Tanager.

Larry

It's not an Ocher-bellied Flycatcher (where did you dig up that?) which is a S. Mexico and Central American sp. I'm thinking Scarlet Tanager.

Larry
Larry - you are far more the expert than I am, no doubt. However, I was in Costa Rica for this shot. The pictures of the female and immature male Scarlet Tanager that I am seeing in iBird Pro and Merlin look very similar to this, except for the dark bill. The Tanangers have a yellowish/greenish bill in the photos. I have only the Costa Rica database loaded in Merlin Bird ID, and that is how I am attempting to ID all the birds I saw there. However, I am just as likly to be wrong as right.

pretty bird well shot
if Ray said that's what it is then that's probably what it is
Ray knows birds
Ray is the guide and our friend
Thanks Randy - well I did email Ray (which I should have done first). He says it is a female Passerinis Tanager. Which makes sense as there were a few males around at the time. I'll fix the original post.

Given location is important to i.d you should have mentioned where you saw it. I was going by your PA location. I see that you added the location long after I saw your post.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom