Passerinis Tanager - Female

It's not an Ocher-bellied Flycatcher (where did you dig up that?) which is a S. Mexico and Central American sp. I'm thinking Scarlet Tanager.

Larry

It's not an Ocher-bellied Flycatcher (where did you dig up that?) which is a S. Mexico and Central American sp. I'm thinking Scarlet Tanager.

Larry

Larry - you are far more the expert than I am, no doubt. However, I was in Costa Rica for this shot. The pictures of the female and immature male Scarlet Tanager that I am seeing in iBird Pro and Merlin look very similar to this, except for the dark bill. The Tanangers have a yellowish/greenish bill in the photos. I have only the Costa Rica database loaded in Merlin Bird ID, and that is how I am attempting to ID all the birds I saw there. However, I am just as likly to be wrong as right.

Real Name
Randy
pretty bird well shot
if Ray said that's what it is then that's probably what it is
Ray knows birds
Ray is the guide and our friend

pretty bird well shot
if Ray said that's what it is then that's probably what it is
Ray knows birds
Ray is the guide and our friend

Thanks Randy - well I did email Ray (which I should have done first). He says it is a female Passerinis Tanager. Which makes sense as there were a few males around at the time. I'll fix the original post.

Given location is important to i.d you should have mentioned where you saw it. I was going by your PA location. I see that you added the location long after I saw your post.

Latest threads

Top Bottom