Pastoral scene near Blacksburg Virginia

This was taken along SR700 near Blacksburg, VA. The young bull in the center was laying down when I started, but when he noticed me he got up and looked very unfriendly. "Don't mess with my herd" I guess.

29278162-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Funny, it looks very sharp in a 12x18 print, but kind of soft here.

John

John,

Great landscape scene..

I find my prints far surpass what I see on the net alot of times.

Thanks Kevin, Robert, Terri, and Mike.

Terri, if the cows hadn't been there it's possible I might not have even stopped. It was one of those times that you know at first sight what picture you want. You know, where it sort of jumps out at you as you come up on it.

John

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Great shot John. Hope you enjoyed your visit to our fair state. Give a shout on the next go around.

Thanks Dave and Anand.

Dave, we not at the fair. We had spent a couple days with friends at the Mountain View Hotel(I think that was the name- maybe Mountain Lake) and this scene was on the road down from there.

John

Thanks Dave and Anand.

Dave, we were not at the fair. We had spent a couple days with friends at the Mountain View Hotel(I think that was the name- maybe Mountain Lake) and this scene was on the road down from there.

John

Wow!! It must be getting late. Sorry about the double post; I tried to stop the first but I guess it didn't work.

In addition I'm sorry I misread your post Dave. You said fair state and my mind read state fair. Think I better go to bed now.

John

Very nice shot John. Since I live in Blacksburg, I recognized the spot immediately. Yes, that is the overlook coming down the mountain from Mountain Lake Hotel (where the movie "Dirty Dancing" was made).

I've stopped at that spot many times. Usually at this time of year the haze is so bad it's not worth a picture, but you had a good day.

Come back in October!

John,

Now that is more my kind of scene. I've been past Blacksburg once, many years ago, but never stopped in. I did go up to Abingdon a number of times though to participate in AMA National Enduros. In fact I won my 'A' rider card there in 1977. :roll:

This shot brings back some good memories. :wink:

Thank you PA,Vinod, Gordon, and Frank.

Frank, I like your new avatar. It's good to see actual faces.

PA, Yes, that's the place - Dirty Dancing although we didn't see any. Ha! Before we left you had made some suggestions for good sites in the area, but being with another couple kept us at the resort.

We are tentatively planning to visit the same friends in Roanoke this October, and this area is so close I'm sure we can return.

My wife is from Charlottesville and I went to grad school at UVA, so this trip probably covered the last unseen part of VA for us.

John

John i really like your composition, the branches in the front give some depth and the way the picture is divided in third horizontally, the first part with the cows, the second part from the depression in the terrain including the distant mountain and finally the clouds that make the last third.

Mountain Lake Hotel

Couldn't resist posting a pictures of the hotel itself from when I was last there a few weeks ago:

30001810-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom