Patagonia Information Needed

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Ched, Dec 28, 2005.

1. My wife and I are considering a photo trip to Patagonia next year and we don't know anyone who's familiar with it. We're considering a two-week trip probably next Fall. Some issues: where (it's big), with whom (guides), when best, how to get there (from Santiago, I'd suppose), where to stay, how to get from place to place?

Does anyone have any experience or know someone who does?

Many thanks if you can help! :eek:

Ched

2. Hi Ched,

We were in Patagonia in March. The scenery is very impressive, but we also had a lot of rain to deal with.

We went by small (100 passengers) expedition ship from the tip of South America (Ushuaia, Argentina) to Conception, Chile. It was the National Geographic Endeavour operated by Lindblad Expeditions
    http://www.expeditions.com
    We have traveled with them several times and really like what they do. They only do this trip once or twice a year, and not every year as it helps get the ship to or from Antarctica where it spends the winters.

Some of our photos are posted here:
    http://bob-nan.smugmug.com/gallery/455599

If you want more details ask here or send a private message.
    Bob & Nan

3. Thanks very much, Bob and Nan! I have many questions. When I get them together I'll send a PM. Perhaps we could talk by phone sometime?

4. Have you considered Southern Patagonia in Argentina?

My wife and I just spent 3 weeks in Argentina, primarily in Buenos Aires, however, we did have an opportunity to spend about 5 days in Calafate, Argentina, which is the jumping off point for the incredible glacier tours, opened by Argentina about 5 years ago. Photo ops to die for! I can fill you in on the area backchannel if you like. Don

5. I have read that Thom Hogan is taking a group to Patagonia next year, might be worth checking into...

www.bythom.com

6. Thank you very much, Andreas. I checked the site, and his plan is to go in 2008. We've now slipped our own schedule until 2007. We'll need to consider this as a possibility.

Ched

7. Don,

I'd like that very much. We're now finding that we're considering everything! I can call you if you'd like. Send your phone by PM and a day and time that's convenient.

Thank you,

Ched

8. Looks like you are getting plenty of responses, but I'll chime in too.

Last year my wife and I went to Patagonia in January and February and had a grand time. We started in Santiago, then flew to Puerto Montt for a few days, then on to Punta Arenas at the southern tip. From there we bussed to Puerto Natales and spent a day in the Torres del Paine National park. We then went back north to the Coyhaique area where I spent a week trout fishing.

We used a locally-hosted tour program through Brendan Travel. We are considering a return trip for the winter of 2007.

We have pictures posted here.

If you'd like to discuss further, send a PM.