Patas Monkey Exhibit, Houston Zoo

I hadn't updated my zoo gallery on pbase in a while even though I get over there about once a month for at least a short visit, so I decided to go through some of the shots I've acquired recently and put some new stuff up. Like most people I spend a lot of time at the lion and tiger exhibits, but lately I've also been spending quite a bit watching these monkeys. Their exhibit is more photogenic than most (no glass or caging), and they're pretty active even when it's hot out. The young ones in particular are a lot of fun to watch, they can be quite ornery.

As with all my animal/wildlife shots these are with the 70-200VR + TC17, mostly at 340mm. To see EXIF details click on the photo to go to the PBase page. As always comments and suggestions welcome.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

The rest of my zoo images can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/houston_zoo

Outstanding captures, Jeff. I really like how you composed your images. Tack sharp with great color. The monkeys co-operated well for you.

Nice series, Jeff! I was at the zoo back in early April and may have caught a photo of the same mother/child in your 4th pic. Obviously, the baby was a lot smaller, but there seems to be a good resemblance on the mother. If it's the same pair, the baby sure has grown a lot in 7 or 8 weeks.

41946341.gif

eng45ine said:
Outstanding captures, Jeff. I really like how you composed your images. Tack sharp with great color. The monkeys co-operated well for you.
Thanks.

If #1 was my pet...I'd name him Nimoy...see the resemblance?
Hehe, now that you mention it I do see the resemblance, that's too funny.

Hi Don,

I'm sure that's the same pair. I've been going over there every few weeks to see the progress. At first the baby rarely left its mother's arms, but now that it's gotten a little bigger it ventures out more and is getting more active. The mother's still pretty protective though, the "adolescent" monkey in the 3rd and 4th shots likes to pick on the little one (and even the other bigger monkeys, he's very feisty/playful).

Jeff,

Great stuff. How do you like your 70-200 combo ? Would you recommend 1.4 or 2.0 over 1.7 ? I'm very close to purchase 1.7 but still debating.

Hi Jeff,

Fantastic images. i always wondered how the 1.7 teleconverter was with the 70-200VR. You images show that it is quite capable.

Thanks for posting. Love the Monkeys

Regards

RFC

Latest threads

Top Bottom