Patching help - "blotchy" results using patch tool

I'm having problems using the patch tool to recreate a large textured surface (snow).

I was patching onto a smooth grey gradient from the left to right edge. Each patch was fairly large and had a 3px feather. After patching my result looked extremely blotchy as below:
left_hill_patch_only.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'd appreciate any advice on why this happens and tips on how to avoid it. Also, I've noticed that I can't patch or use the healing brush close to the edge of the hill because it pulls in the black. How can I recreate texture there?

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I'm having problems using the patch tool to recreate a large textured surface (snow).

I was patching onto a smooth grey gradient from the left to right edge. Each patch was fairly large and had a 3px feather. After patching my result looked extremely blotchy as below:
left_hill_patch_only.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'd appreciate any advice on why this happens and tips on how to avoid it. Also, I've noticed that I can't patch or use the healing brush close to the edge of the hill because it pulls in the black. How can I recreate texture there?

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS2-Photographers-Professional/dp/0240519841/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-6685986-7601418?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175127750&sr=8-2

This book is a great reference tool for CS2. Although I can't speak from personal experience, he relates having to try many times to patch a large section and then using the healing brush to eliminate some banding.
He does say that, when working close to a dark edge, make a selection and work within that, perhaps on a separate layer.

I am not to good with the patch tool. It can be quite good
Just search google for ps patch tool tutorial
Or go over to dpreview retouching forum and they will fix ya right up

Latest threads

Top Bottom