Patience Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PGB, Jul 23, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Critiques welcome. Please let me know what you like or dislike about these captures.

29503078-O.

29503077-O.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow Patrick,

what great shots.

Nothing not to like. Great job.

3. Nice shot Patrick! Tell us about the process. How, when, where, lens and what settings?

Regards,

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Patrick. I agree with Gale. I like them both. That lens is impressive. 8)

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    EXIF DATA
    Nikon 24-85
    Exposure time: 1/60
    F-stop: 5.6
    ISO speed: 100
    Focal length: 62.0000
    Focal length (35mm): 93
    Flash: Not fired
    Exposure mode: Auto
    White balance: Manual
    Orientation: Top-left
    Light source: Fine weather
    Exposure bias: 0.0000
    Metering mode: Pattern

Took these on Green Mountain Nature Trail. Handheld with D2x.

Thanks,

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool shots! I knew these were keepers the minute I saw them! Glad you finally got around to processing and posting them...

7. Hey Patrick, I like the 2nd shot better than the first. Mostly because I like the way you got the body in a straight diagonal to the frame. I'm assuming the 1st is a crop of the 2nd? It's not quite as sharp.

8. Cool hopper shot Patrick!

Martin

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    That is correct Kevin. Somehow when I ordered the images on the forum they were reversed in order.

Thanks for the comments and I agree about the sharpness of the first.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Motion blur on the closeup not seen on wider shot?

Funny how you don't even notice it on the wider shot. But, @1/60th, I'll be that little critter was moving his head around, and created a littel motion blur, but just doesn't show up on the wide shot. That doggone D2X really shows the details when zoomed way in, doesn't it?

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great images, Patrick. Both are great, I really like the second image because of the composition. Keep them coming....

12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Re: Motion blur on the closeup not seen on wider shot?

I continue to be amazed at how careful one has to be with this camera. For me, I have to double and triple check everything to make sure I get it all right. Its harder to get sharp images with this camera as opposed to the H I had. I'm having to retrain myself to be more careful and take my time.

Thanks for the comments.

13. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    The second is my favorite too. I have a couple more but the little critter moved as I captured it and they didn't turn out well.

Thanks,

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Re: Motion blur on the closeup not seen on wider shot?

Hi Patrick -

You are sooooo right about the D2x. But when you nail one, the results are fabulous.

I like both images very much. As noted the first is a tad softer, but still pretty impressive given the size of the crop. Otherwise perfect except for the nightmares I'm going to have tonight. :shock: By cropping to a head shot, you really made this guy look menacing.

The only nit I have with the second is the distraction of the yellow OOF branches on the right. I would clone them out. Otherwise an outstanding shot. Good composition and amazing detail. In this one the bug is not threatening. What my eyes focused on was the texture and patterns on the bug's side. Beautiful.

Was this on a tripod? And how far from the bug did you shoot. Looks very close. Does that lens have a macro setting.

Gordon

15. WOW....I like these Patrick. Well done!! :D :D

16. Very...very nice !! I too am wondering about the distance etc...??

17. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Gordon and Mike.

I shot this hand held and was about 6-7 inches from the Grasshopper.

I was on a hike and didn't have a tripod or monopod or I would have utilized it.

Thanks,

18. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I thought I recognized this one from the hike. It looks really sharp, especially for a handheld shot.
    Looks like he moved his head a little, or at least his jaws. Inconsiderate little bugger.

19. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Hey! I see something wrong with this shot!!
    I didn't shoot it... :)
    Its a beauty!
    Jarrell

20. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks Jarrell. Wish you could have made it over, then you could have shot it too.

Next time for sure my friend!

Thanks,