Patience, practice and perserverance...

And then now and then you get something you've been trying to capture for a long time.

nuthatch 7580.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Looks like you have the timing down and exposure down. Now to acquire focus early enough for the camera to track. In both cases the focus is in front of the bird. What focus settings are you using?

Good stuff, Bob. Congrats on the reward for persistence.
Thanks Phil
Looks like you have the timing down and exposure down. Now to acquire focus early enough for the camera to track. In both cases the focus is in front of the bird. What focus settings are you using?
I shot this in continuous group focus, I tried full auto but had more difficulty than group. Still need more practice on getting the focus locked on.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I just watched this video - Bird in Flight Crash Course - by Steve Perry. It is excellent! In fact, at about the 12 minute mark, he addresses how to get sharp photos of birds taking flight. Some really good info here especially related to focus mode selection, shutter speed and stopping down the aperture.

Enjoy!

I just watched this video - Bird in Flight Crash Course - by Steve Perry. It is excellent! In fact, at about the 12 minute mark, he addresses how to get sharp photos of birds taking flight. Some really good info here especially related to focus mode selection, shutter speed and stopping down the aperture.

Enjoy!
thanks I'll check it out. As for dynamic modes, I thought that's what I was using ie continuous and group or auto.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
thanks I'll check it out. As for dynamic modes, I thought that's what I was using ie continuous and group or auto.
Continuous just means it is focusing continuous as opposed to single point.

Group selects the focus point within the small group.

Auto (I believe) selects the focus point.

Dynamic - YOU select the focus point and then the camera tracks it. Really study the Steve Perry book on Nikon Auto Focus Systems.... If you don't own it, it is well worth $20...... considering the money you've spent on the D6 and lenses.

Latest threads

Top Bottom