Patterns.

As you all know, patterns are used often as a strong element of visual design. They have a strong tendency to attract attention.
If the patterns are broken, more impact is given to the photograph. When patterns occur like they do here they are called "patterns of repetition."
These plants, growing in our front yard, are located under a small palm tree.They receive sunlight in the late afternoon but during morning hours they are partially covered by shadows with some light filtrating through the branches of the palm, kind of spot lighting but soft.
This is a typical example of seeing, not looking. It has nothing to do with the gear you are using, it can be photographed with any camera and any lens. All that is required is observation of the subject and awareness of what the light is doing to it. Notice how the eye is drawn to the partially illuminated plants on the left side of the frame, precisely the effect the photographer is after.
This is not an explanation for the many of you in this forum that are advanced photographers but for those students of photography who are beginning to explore light and composition.

Topaz.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Camera: D300 with 18-105 VR kit lens.
Exposure: Center weighted, straight metering.
Editing with Photoshop and Topaz Adjust 5.
No tripod.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Thank you Ted. I am open to critique and after so many years photographing I still consider myself in the stage of learning. Please feel free to issue opinions on what you like or dislike and most important, what would you have done differently.
We are all here to learn!

William.

Latest threads

Top Bottom