PayPal confirmed address

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lukasz, Jul 1, 2008.

1. lukasz

lukasz

Nov 24, 2007
    Katowice, Poland
    Hi,
    Could someone please explain me what is PayPal confirmed address??
    I live in Poland but I'm coming to USA for summer and wanted to buy some Nikon gear (thanks to great Dollar price :) ) but I see that on almost every eBay auction seller states that: "I will only ship to confirmed addresses"
    I have Paypal account and my credit card was verified. Is it the same as confirmed address? And what if my credit card billing address is in Poland?
    I would be grateful for any help! :)

2. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    the confirmed address indicates that shipments to your address are legitimate

that way the seller doesn't lose out when someone pulls the "I left my paypal account logged in and someone else used it" or "someone hacked my paypal account" tricks

basically to be protected under paypal you need to have shipped to a confirmed address, if you dont use it and they send it, they [seller] have no protection

with more expensive items they usually expect a confirmed address

3. lukasz

lukasz

Nov 24, 2007
    Katowice, Poland
    thanks for quick answer! :)
    but how do I get my address confirmed? is there a way to do this if I live in Poland and want my shipment to USA address?

4. You can't get it Confirmed.

This service is only available to US, Candadian and UK citizens.

I have no idea why - I am afraid I had to withdraw from selling a lens to a Polish citizen recently due to the Confirmed Address issue.

As it stands, if someone ships to a non-confirmed address, all the buyer has to do is claim (and claim is the keyword, they don't need to PROVE) the item was lost, or damaged or not as described and Paypal will refund the buyer all their money, so the seller loses the item and the money.

Google "Paypal + chargeback + unconfirmed address" to see why folks take these precautions.

5. lukasz

lukasz

Nov 24, 2007
    Katowice, Poland
    :( what a shame, I was so happy about coming for shopping for some lenses :(

Thank you for your help though.

6. I'm sorry too, its very shabby that Paypal do not roll this out to everyone.

If you are living in the US and will be there for a while, you may well be able to open a US account, and get your US address "Confirmed", to do this you will need to add a US Credit Card to your account, and your delivery address for goods must match your Credit Card address. There are other stages to getting a Confirmed Address too.

7. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Perhaps someone you know here could handle the transactions for you.

8. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    First of all, that would be residents, not citizens. An American living in Belgium cannot get a confirmed address; a Belge living in Alabama can.

Second, I think it has to do with the way the address is certified. I wouldn't be surprised if countries in continental Europe have regulations where it is difficult for outsiders to confirm that bank account xyz is indeed registered on address abc. Given that confirmation is done through your bank account, that would be an obstacle.

9. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    you will probably be pleasantly surprised to see many e-tailers offering prices similar to ebay (even BH and adorama)

that is for new in box stuff

if you're looking for used then I guess that probably won't help