pbase smugmug what to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WHISTLING_WINGS, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Whats best, the free ones seem that there not capable of much more then what a yahoo group would be, a place to put a few photos with little control, So for free what have you all found? or do you need to pull out some coin to have a site that displays your photos well.

2. I haven't tried PBase, but I've been using Smugmug since last February and I'm very happy with it. I think it is well worth the nominal annual fee.

3. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    Well, I thought about the same thing for a long time and in the end picked pbase.. seems to be much more flexible as smugmug. I'm not sure about smugmug's pricing but pbase's is pretty competitive.

Sign up for the 30 day trial at pbase and see if you like it.. i think there's a similar trial option on smugmug also.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I just had my 1 year anniversary with Smugmug. I have been very happy with the service. Its easy to use, is very reliable, and also offers a way for people to buy prints at the prices that you set. Not that anyone would ever think I have anything worth buying but that option is available to me to market them.

I have my own image storage website at www.patrickbramlett.com but I haven't really started using it yet. Its based on the program "Gallery" its really simple too and is free. All you need is a web host and a mysql database on the backend. Most webhost providers can accomodate this software without a problem.

Information on the software can be found at http://gallery.menalto.com/ and, a nice webhost that has great rates is http://www.hostrocket.com/

If you are interested in persuing this option I would be happy to consult with you on it or anyone else that is interested. I'll answer any questions I can just drop me a note.

Regards,

5. I just moved all my photos to smugmug yesterday. I finally got fed up with the effort that my personal site took to update, change, organize, etc. So I signed up with smugmug and in about 20 minutes had my photos loaded and organized the way I wanted them. Really pretty nice set up and the $25 a year seems plenty fair.

Question for Patrick, I have the option of selling prints with smugmug but did not see where I set a price or anything else. Is that only an option with the full service accounts?

6. The Gallery s/w is nice. I have a personal gallery using that s/w, hosted on a friend's site. Only thing about Gallery is that it isn't totally configurable from the remote side. Such as, I can't design my own layout. For a free solution, it definitely works, but when you pay about $25 per year or more on any of the subscription sites, you will always get more options and more control over your hosted environment.

I think Fotki is also a good alternative to consider, with rates comparable to smugmug.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've been using PBase, because they have the most streamlined/efficient interface IMHO for users (I hate popups), and the performance seems to be consistently faster than others.

Unfortunately reliability hasn't always been so great, they had significant growing pains last winter and even this week there have been problems with direct-linked images. So I'm not really sure I can recommend them. Honestly if I was starting out today I'm not sure what I would do; the other alternative seems to be Smugmug but I really dislike their interface.

8. Yes, the $99/year account...not sure what it is called now, Pro account maybe.

9. Ouch, I don't think I could sell enough photos to cover that!! Guess that's why it is a pro option.

10. Something's gone wrong with my Smugmug gallery.

I logged on the otherday to find my photos all in one long column down the left hand side of the screen. So far, I haven't been able to do anything about it despite their "intuitive" software.

I won't be renewing my subscription with them and will rely solely on Pbase - which I find really is easy to manipulate.

11. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    My vote goes to PBase, which I've been using for the past 2 years. I tried SmugMug a while ago, didn't like it. I tried Fotki and it's a disaster. Site is oriented more towards family photos and you get bombarded with copy & pasted messages like "vot for me in this/that contest" on daily basis.

12. pcjr

pcjr

Sep 19, 2005
    California
    I am not Patrick but I know you need to upgrade from the basic Smugmug membership to set your own prices (and therefore earn money) on prints. I think you need the "Professional" membership to do this.

I joined Smugmug just a little over a year ago. My referrals this past year have paid for my basic-level membership. There support folks are amazing.

Last Tuesday's outage was just a bad dream...

13. pcjr

pcjr

Sep 19, 2005
    California
    I had the same problem last Tuesday. It was caused by some bad information cached by my browser. After I killed it and restarted everything looked fine.

14. I pulled up your smugmug gallery and it is working just fine for me. By the way it's nice to see all those rugby photos. I played for many years and miss it dearly.

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I'm using Flickr...

16. I have both but use Pbase for my digital work and Smugmug for other work. So I like both of them.

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I have accounts on noth. I find Smugmug to be more reliable & more flexible. When the time comes to choose between the two I'll be going with Smugmug.

18. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I've used Pbase for several years. I think it's fast and easy to use. They've had a few problems recently, but not any more than any other site. I would recommend them.

Mike

19. What I dont like about Flickr is that you can't seem to design the layout very much. Ever Flickr page I see always has the same white background, and I don't think it can be customized very much. If I had to choose one color for a background for all images, I think it should be black. No distraction from the borders, and no interference from bright white all around. Flickr could be a good site but seriously needs to implement more page layout abilities.