Pbase vs. Smugmug

I hope I'm not starting a battle here, but I'm curious about the differences between the two. Although I've shot film for many years, I'm very new at digital having just purchased my first DSLR, a mint D-100 for a very good price. :D

Now, I need to get set up with one of these services. What are your suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Brian

I have been with Pbase since I started in digital and like them. Like any host they go through periods of problems as they grow but all in all it has been a good experience. My family and friends love looking at the images that I post and afterall that is what it is all about.

Pbase has a large clientele which gives you great exposure. I currently have over 200K hits on my galleries.

I like Pbase it has a huge range of users and i think i am correct in saying it was the first site of its type. Its very easy to use and you can edit the CSS to create a custom look for your gallery.

Each site has its merits i think it just boils down to what you want to use it for.

Smugmug

Tried pbase. Did not like the interface. Went to Smugmug. Fell in love. If you use this coupon nX6LB48cG5Zrw you will get $5 off your subscription

I love smugmug. Great features and very few problems. The few times that they have had problems, they were back up very quickly. They offer three levels of service and allow a variety of customization options.

Hard to beat IMO. :wink:

Real Name
Chris
I've never used either except as a visitor. Although it is somewhat expensive, .Mac is very fast and reliable.

I just use them as an image server however, and use blogging software (Radio) for presentation.

I am beta testing a site at the moment and it looks very promissing ...

Around same price as the PBase and Smugmug (maybe cheaper) for 200Mb and lots of features ...

It shoud be available in about 3 - 4 weeks ...
I'll try to keep everyone posted ....

G

Gordon Large

I've used PBase for several years and generally been very pleased. They have had occasional problems with servers and bandwidth, but they work very hard to catch up and then stay ahead of the curve. I prefer the interface to SmugMug but that's just a personal preference.

Gordon

I would have to agree with Gordon. I've used PBase for about 4 years and have been pleased with the service. I experienced some problems very recently but they cleared up within a day. About a year ago, I tried SmugMug and just didn't care for the interface. Probably just because I was too comfortable with PBase! I suspect it's like the Mac vs. PC or Nikon vs. Canon fight; both equally good but toally up to your presonal preferences!

Yves, is the one that you are beta testing Canadian? I'd be interested in knowing more.

I'll try to help and remember my thoughts this January when I ended up picking Smugmug.

Pbase gives you a set amount of storage space and unlimited access to it.
Smugmug gives you a set amount of access (downloaded bandwidth) each month and unlimited storage.

Almost all of what I post is here on Nikon Cafe. Since the group is fairly small, there is not a lot of bandwidth used for each post. I don't post a lot, but could certainly post 6 to 10 times as many photos here without hitting the monthly limit. I have a lot of photos there (and a bunch more that I need to get up there) and not a lot of lookers, if the situation was reversed, I might have picked Pbase. Also I don't have to worry about the file size of my uploads (except I am still on dial-up-ugh!)

For what it is worth, you can get a $5 discount by entering an existing members email or code and they get a $10 credit when you do. Our founders, Frank (Flew) and Patrick Bramlett, are both Smugmug users so I used Frank as my reference since they are doing a lot of work to make this site what it is. If you happen to pick Smugmug, I suggest you pick one and do the same.

Hope this helps,
Bob

yokimbo said:
jgrove said:
Each site has its merits i think it just boils down to what you want to use it for.

James, can you or anyone else boil it down a little more? :) Interface preferences aside, is Pbase better for one use and SmugMug better for others?

Thanks,

SmugMug has an added Buy Prints option for pro users but this isnt much use for UK users as clients would have to pay shipping from the USA. I think Smug also have a system for linking you website to theres to create a virtual gallery for your web site?

PBase is very similar but if you plan to sell prints from pbase then you`ll need to do a bit of coding in the CSS editor first. I have got used to the user interface of PBase and while it did seem a bit dauting at first its like second nature now, i know exactly what to resize images to etc, try them both out and see which one you prefer as they both offer trails. I may try out SmugMug.

Cheers

J

JordanLFW

I love smugmug. Haven't had a problem yet...very easy to upload to and keep the shots organized.

Can't beat the unlimited storage!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom