PBY-5a Catalina

This one of two last remaining plains fit for flying people in the world
Build in 1941 and served the Dutch naval airforce in the far east.After renovation its flying in its original colors and number.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 187674
View attachment 187675
View attachment 187676
(made by its take off)

I wish i know how to do that. In the 35mm age it would be no problem Sad thing is that I`m just not that good in PS.I`ll ask my much younger friend who grew up with (or by a) computers.I made several pictures of the plane.Most with a clear background.Only not with the plane in the right angle.
I later realized that the last time we had flying boats on our river was May5th 1940 when German luftwaffe landed in the early morning with Donier flyingboats to invade our country The PBY was part of the celabration of our liberation.

Rob

Very cool plane. Thanks for posting. I don't want to hijack your thread but my mother in law survived occupied Holland and has amazing stories of the hardships in those dark years. At age nine she was in a group of girls assembled to greet a visiting vip and shook the hand of no other than Adolf H. At the time he was wearing a Bavarian hunting outfit and had two german shepards by his side. She had no idea of who he was at the time but remembers it well.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

This one of two last remaining plains fit for flying people in the world
Build in 1941 and served the Dutch naval airforce in the far east.After renovation its flying in its original colors and number.
Hello Rob,

Nice pics of our Dutch Cat. I wish I would have been there to shoot these!
I need to correct you on some of the info you supplied. The Dutch used 78 Catalinas mostly in the Dutch East Indies which is now Indonesia. This particular aircraft (c/n 300) was in US duty and is the catalina with the most submarine kills during WWII. She downed 3 Geman subs (U464, U582 and U194) and heavily damaged a fourth (U528).
This aircraft was never in Dutch duty and the serial she carries (P-218; P being the 16th letter of the alphabet) now was made up by the current users. They wanted something similar to the old Dutch registration and P-217 was the last one used by the Dutch Navy.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to have an airworthy PBY at the field where I learned to fly.
It went on to a new home and promptly crashed beyond repair. :-(

Neat shots of one of my favorite planes.

Don

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom