PC Clean Up

On my Mac I occasionally use a program called Onyx, which basically clean things ups and removes crud from your computer. Is there anything like that for windows?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Personally, if it were me, I would read up the benefits/flaws of CCleaner online before I even download a copy. Here is one article on the Microsoft Community: Is CCleaner Safe to use?(plz be brief). Read all the responses in full before you proceed.
As with any software, one should ensure they download software from a reputable site. I have CCleaner and have never had a problem.

I have also used CCleaner for a number of years.
Never a problem.
You need to very careful only using the areas you want it to clean.
They also have a version of it for Mac if you end up liking it.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
On my Mac I occasionally use a program called Onyx, which basically clean things ups and removes crud from your computer. Is there anything like that for windows?
You don't need a special program, it is built in to Windows and is now completely automatic. In Windows 10 it is called Storage Sense:
What is Storage Sense and How to Enable it on Windows 10
In older versions you simply go to File Explorer, right-click on a hard disk, and click Properties, then click the Disk Clean-up button.

There are people selling programs that do more aggressive cleaning and also tinker with the registry but why risk it when it gains you nothing and risks everything? I run machines for a minimum lifetime of 10 years and never use those cleaner programs. The machines run as fast today as when they were new.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You don't need a special program, it is built in to Windows and is now completely automatic. In Windows 10 it is called Storage Sense:
What is Storage Sense and How to Enable it on Windows 10
In older versions you simply go to File Explorer, right-click on a hard disk, and click Properties, then click the Disk Clean-up button.

There are people selling programs that do more aggressive cleaning and also tinker with the registry but why risk it when it gains you nothing and risks everything? I run machines for a minimum lifetime of 10 years and never use those cleaner programs. The machines run as fast today as when they were new.
I never knew about that feature. THANKS! I just found it and turned it on. I don't understand why a feature like that isn't turned on as the default status.

Windows 10 still has "Disk cleanup". Press your Windows key, then start typing it in and it should pop up for you to click on.

Latest threads

Top Bottom