PC -> Mac: NX2 & LR3 questions

Mac-wise Cafe Members,

I have a new 17-inch MacBook Pro coming this Wednesday, getting pretty excited :smile:

This will be my first (home) Mac, been using PCs since the 90s. (I use a Mac at work, though, so I'm not unfamiliar with the platform.)

So what's the best way to migrate my photo apps? I use Lightroom 3 about 80% of the time - I should just be able to install the Mac version and everything should work as before, correct?

Capture NX2 seems to be the bigger headache... I read that the Mac version is not as good as the Windows version - is that correct? I plan to install Windows 7 on the MBP, either in BootCamp or as a Parallels 6 VM. What are the tradeoffs in running NX2 in MacOS X vs running it in Windows 7?

Anyone have any experience with this transition here...?

Thanks

Mike

I, like many, have made the transition and felt it was worth it and therefore successful, although not without the odd kink along the way. You are wise to ask before leaping to conclusions but do bear in mind timing matters, already my own experience is getting dated due to changes to both camps in the intervening time.
LR is as you say, easy, especially as the same DvD installs to both Win and OS X with the same key (if you have other Adobe products, such as Photoshop you'll have to turn them in and make an undertaking that all copies are destroyed before they'll usually grant a media exchange pack to convert a Win to Mac installation, be wary of inexactitudes too)
CNX2 on a Mac is less robust generally, has a tendency to get broken by OS X updates, and Nik/Nikon lag months behind OS X updates in their formal support (for evidence have a look now and see what exact OS X version(s) are officially supported, note it ain't OS X v10.6.7 the current version). If you can. avoid, you'll have a nicer life :smile: otherwise this is one of the few (Qimage may be another candidate) applications that really do partially justify a Windows install, in my case via a Virtual Machine (VM) environment otherwise I'd just never bother booting into Windows :wink:
(now to put on multiple layers of fireproof clothing, as this is already likley to cause flames and set fires burning even though it's merely one person's experience and therefore entirely factually based observations) Sent from my phone.

I, like many, have made the transition and felt it was worth it and therefore successful, although not without the odd kink along the way. You are wise to ask before leaping to conclusions but do bear in mind timing matters, already my own experience is getting dated due to changes to both camps in the intervening time.
LR is as you say, easy, especially as the same DvD installs to both Win and OS X with the same key (if you have other Adobe products, such as Photoshop you'll have to turn them in and make an undertaking that all copies are destroyed before they'll usually grant a media exchange pack to convert a Win to Mac installation, be wary of inexactitudes too)
CNX2 on a Mac is less robust generally, has a tendency to get broken by OS X updates, and Nik/Nikon lag months behind OS X updates in their formal support (for evidence have a look now and see what exact OS X version(s) are officially supported, note it ain't OS X v10.6.7 the current version). If you can. avoid, you'll have a nicer life :smile: otherwise this is one of the few (Qimage may be another candidate) applications that really do partially justify a Windows install, in my case via a Virtual Machine (VM) environment otherwise I'd just never bother booting into Windows :wink:
(now to put on multiple layers of fireproof clothing, as this is already likley to cause flames and set fires burning even though it's merely one person's experience and therefore entirely factually based observations) Sent from my phone.

Thanks for your response, Three!

I'm leaning towards the VM solution because I don't like the idea of rebooting all the time... How does NX2 work for you in a VM, performance & stability wise? How much RAM do you dedicate to the VM vs the native OS?

Cheers

Mike

I think you're better off running it natively. My NX2 install has been more stable on my Mac than it was the admittedly old PC.

There were some issues for some people when Snow Leopard first came out, but that's been cleaned up now. I'd suggest running it native first and then only if you have problems consider an alternative.

You seem to understand that there is no issue with Lightroom. You may want to copy over presets, etc if you have custom ones. Your Catalog and Previews can just go right on over. If you are intending using two systems simultaneously I suggest keeping the Catalog and image files on an external drive so you can just plug and play on either computer.

Thanks Geoff, that's exactly what I did and everything is working beautifully on my new MacBook!

I also installed the native version of NX 2.2.6.

So far, the Windows to Mac transition has been incredibly smooth... I'm loving it :smile:

Cheers

Mike

the transition only gets better to the point where you wonder how you did anything without it.

it's magical, but not in a unicorn & fairy kind of way. ;)

funny posts!
NX is
1. more stable on Mac
2. faster on Mac
3. the implementation of the necessary libraries, dyld,frameworks is better on Mac,because there are no such issues regarding 32/64 bit running on a Mac compared with 32/64bit issues on win, e.g the problems that occur with NX running on 64bit win do not exist on Mac.

Yep, Mac's just work!!:biggrin::rolleyes:

I use both MACs and PCs. But to be fair, it's not difficult to get something to work well when it only has to work with a relatively limited number of programs when compared to another which works with a vastly larger number of programs.

So yes, MACs work except for those programs that simply won't run on a MAC.

Apple does have an advantage in the fact they control both the hardware and the operating system design and manufacturing. In turn this allows for much better compatability in the same way a gaming console does since one need only code for specified hardware with well documented configuration changes when necessary.

Hence it should come as no surprise that a MAC does what it does well. However, they remain relatively limited in just what it is they can do when compared to a PC.

Edit: I should add I'm not claiming one operating system is superior to the other as both have distinct advantages. It's the end result of the hardware and the OS that is the topic.

As I said, it isn't about the operating systems or the hardware alone. It's the convergence of both together that forms the basis for the MAC and PC 'systems' as a whole. I also alluded to the fact I did not intend my statement to be taken as being wholly supportive of one system or the other. To wit, both have advantages and disadvantages.

If one wishes to discuss the merits of either O/S, irrespective of hardware, that is another topic entirely.

Yep, Mac's just work!!:biggrin::rolleyes:

Not for me...not entirely unhappy with the switch (MBP for my photography but still running a PC desktop with Win7 for wife and common apps) but it hasn't been the "it just works" that I've heard about.

Not for me...not entirely unhappy with the switch (MBP for my photography but still running a PC desktop with Win7 for wife and common apps) but it hasn't been the "it just works" that I've heard about.

Create your own thread, but i'd be interested to hear what it is that isn't "just working" for you.

If you need to run a program under Windows, you may have to partition the HD. If you have to do so, then you essentially wipe the disc clear, make the % partition, and reinstall everything including the OS. At least that is how it worked when I partitioned an external drive. If you want to do windows, you need a copy of windows OS to install on the partition. Others can advise better and more completely hopefully. I offer this only so you partition as a first step before you update the OS and add/update other applications and then have to erase them.
NX2 seems to work fine on SL. I just used the key on a downloaded 60 day trial and it worked perfectly. Same with Define 2.0. Discs are sealed on original packages to this day.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom