PC memory help request

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lowlight_junkie, Dec 14, 2005.

1. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi all, pretty sure there are loads of resident experts here that can help so here goes.
    I have three memory slots in my motherboard, in those slots I have a matched pair of 512mb dual channel memory sticks (I know its not much)
    I would like to upgrade to 2gb but when I purchased the ram I was told it had to be matched. Is it possible for me to purchase another 1gb stick of ram and have 2gb as obviously then it isn't matched. What confuses me is if a match is needed why make 3 slots not two or four?
    If this is possible can I still run it in Dual channel mode and does the 1gb stick need to be the same brand?
    Hope all this makes sense, although not a technophobe I am not really hot on the technology.
    Thanks for any help guys and gals

2. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    I do not know anymore than you, but the Crucial Technology web site has always answered my questions.
    http://www.crucial.com/
    Good luck.
    Robert

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chaz,

Crucial is a good site for sure. They can probably tell you what you need for sure. What brand and model is your PC?

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Let me add my vote for Crucial technology. I added memory to my Dell, PC, and I'm running 2 Gigs for over a year now with no problems. There are probably other good memory suppliers, but Crucial is the best I've seen.

5. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Thanks guys will look there. Flew the PC is just a clone model I built myself so no real branding. I bought a kit online from Ebay and it was board memory and CPU. The Motherboard is and Abit and the CPU is an Athlon 2800+

6. Chaz, I just asked this question at work of some techie-geeks (I work at a software development company). I just ordered a new computer for Xmas that comes with 1gb of RAM. I want to expand it to 2gb. The processor I ordered is Dual-Core technology. I was told to go to Intel site and check the processor to see if the RAM must be matched. The computer comes with 2-512mb modules and I was wanted to add a 3rd module of 1gb. They said in order to add another full gig I'd have to add 2 addt'l 512mb modules since the motherboard/processor requires paired RAM. From what I understood, if I wanted the 4gig max which the pc supports, I'd have to go with 4-1gig modules. Not sure why yours would only have 3 slots if it requires matched memory, but I can ask when I get to work.

7. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Kevin
    Exactly what I thought but I am sure there is some logical explaination!
    Would very much appreciate your asking the "techies" for me thanks.
    Computers!

8. Of course the Intel site will do him no good as he has an AMD processor. I would think it would depend on the motherboard manufacturer's design decision. I would look at the ABIT site and have the specific MB model available.

Also, Crucial.com may give guidance for his specific MB.

9. Here's what I found out. In general terms (general because there are apparently 100 different MB by Abit) the difference lies between whether you use buffered or unbuffered memory. If unbuffered, you can use 3 matched modules but if you're using buffered, you're restricted to 2 matched modules. This is based on him not knowing the exact model of motherboard. He sent me a link that contains a matrix that might be helpful. There are so many options, you might want to review it yourself for clarification. Here's the link

Pa, unfortunately, his details were entered while I was typing my message. I only mentioned the Intel site as it pertained to my situation and the principle would apply regardless of which brand of processor he was using.

Hope this helps, Chaz.

10. I understand; no offense intended.:smile: