PC not recognizing D200*

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by MrDalgof, Sep 1, 2008.

1. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    *(title was changed from "PC not detecting D200" to "PC not recognizing D200")

Hi all.
    I bought a used D200 not long ago and am finally getting around to setting up some custom banks. For the sake of ease, I wanted to do this using Capture Camera Control, but for some reason, my PC doesn't detect my camera.

This is happening on a newly built system running Windows XP SP3 on a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H board with an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU. After installing Nikon Capture 4 and upgrading it to the latest version, I connect my D200 with the USB option set to PTP. But the PC never recognizes the camera. I've tried fresh install of Capture, updating drivers for the D200, but to no avail.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to rectify this, I sure would be grateful.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  2. Relax! You D200 is most likely set up for mass storage instead of PTP. Go to the wrench symbol in the cameras setup menu and find USB and chnage it to PTP.

Let us know how it goes....

3. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Hi Andréas. Thanks the reply, but I do already have the camera set to PTP. It seems my problem is deeper than that.

4. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    The first step is always to determine if the problem is in the peripherial (camera), computer, or cable. Try that USB port with some other device to make sure it is working. If it is a port native to the mb then it is probably ok, but have seen ports mounted on computer cases that the builders never bothered to hook up. If the port works with a different USB device then try connecting the camera with a different USB cable.

First step anyway...

5. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    First an update. My PC now detects that a device has been attached. But it will not recognize it properly nor with it allow me to update the drivers. So I'm still at about the same place. When trying to update the drivers through the device manager the system refuses to comply.

I did try two different USB ports, Ed, - one native to the motherboard, and the other on a hub. Same results in both cases. Since my PC does acknowledge that I've attached something to it (even though unable to recognize it) I don't think the problem is the cable.

6. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Go ahead and throw me a curve ball Chris :) 

Try to hook up the D200 to a neighbors computer, if that works then you might need to speak with the people who assembled the computer for you. If that is you, contact gigabyte and then microsoft for driver support. It is possible that there is a mb conflict with the device driver.

Ed

7. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Well there's no reason not to share the fun, Ed. :wink: Thanks for the ideas though. I'll try another PC and see what happens. There's some hiccup somewhere that prevents my PC from recognizing the device ID of the camera. If another machine has the same issue I'll know that the problem is not within my particular hardware or XP configuration.

We'll see...

And yes, I built this machine myself.

8. Sorry, I shouldnt have sort of assumed that you didnt know what your where doing, sorry about that.

I agree in this case that your try with a different computer to see if it works with it. if it doesn't, I assume you have tried a different USB cable?

let us know how it goes...

9. rmfnla

rmfnla

Aug 19, 2008
    La-La Land
    I would try uninstalling the Capture 4 software and see if the Windows XP photo utility works.

10. Don't know if you have done this, try turning your puter off, with the usb to camera connected, then turn back on...

11. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Epilogue

I decided not to continue trying to sort this out. Setting up custom banks was the sole reason for connecting the camera to my PC in the first place, so it made no sense to keep tinkering with drivers and connections when I could have just spent the time doing it through the menus. Which I've done already.

But thank you to all of you that thought to offer your help. Sorry I couldn't bring this to a satisfying conclusion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.