PC question for Patrick (or other PC guru)

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Luckynp, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Patrick, do you or any other expert know the answer to my question?

I have a Compaq Presario PC with 2 memory slots, currently with a 512Mb PC2700 memory chip in each one. I believe the motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X.

I have read somewhere (but can't remember where) that the maxiumum memory I can have is 1 Gb.

I have a feeling this information dates from a time when 512Mb chips were the biggest available.

I would like to upgrade to 2 Gb using 1 Gb chips. Do you know if this motherboard would support this?

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Hold on and I'll look it up.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
  4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Oh, and if you follow this link http://www.crucial.com/uk/ currency is in pounds and you can also select your model number of computer or motherboard and see what is available. I prefer Crucial memory as they guarrantee compatablity and it is very high quality memory.

Let us know.

5. Thanks for this Patrick. It's a Presario S5500UK.

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Well, that particular model isn't listed on the Crucial website. :(

However I did find that the S5500uk has an Asus A7n8x-LA motherboard. It lists as the max memory is 1gb, and you are currently at the max. I'll continue to look to see if it is a bios flash limitation or just by design. That motherboard series, A7n8x, is not that old and the ones that we sold a few months back had max of 3gb. Its possible that since this board is not listed on Asus website that it is special to Compaq, which is very likely.

I'll continue to dig for you.

7. Thanks Patrick.

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Mike,

Everything that I have found indicates that the maximum memory for this computer is 1gb. That is through companies that specialize in memory upgrades for name brand computers. Unfortunatly, hp/compaq website is awful and I am unable to confirm through their channels. It might be wise to contact Compaq UK to give them the model and serial number and confirm what I have found.

Regards,

9. Patrick, many thanks for all the work you have put into this. I really appreciate it.