PC sync cord

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Haibane, May 20, 2007.

1. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Guys, I need a good reliable sync cord male to male for sb800 to d2h. My last one snapped on me at the connection. I kept having to use pliers to maintain a tight connection so it would fire when asked to and finally it snapped. I need two things. At least about 10ft, and something that will always fire when the flash and camera are on.

2. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    I dunno which cables are higher quality than others, but they are certainly cheap enough to buy a spare or two next time. PC connectors are not the most inherently reliable things anyway. Nikon does make some threaded ones, which fit the SB-800s second connector. Dunno about the D2H, but you may then need one of the Nikon shoe adapters to fit the threaded one at that end.

Are you using any second flash unit too?

To be using a PC cord, you are obviously in Manual flash mode.

If in Manual flash mode, you dont need a flash cord at all, you can put the SB-800 into its SU-4 mode, where it will be optically triggered any any second flash unit, very reliably, and wirelessly.

If no second flash unit is being used, well, you could add any second flash at low power setting, shoe mounted to trigger it, pointing at the ceiling or at the back wall or at the SB-800, and it will trigger it wirelessly. Even the internal flash in Manual mode set to its lowest power level would do it.

3. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Pro bodies don't have built in flashes, but thanks I kind of knew that. Threaded pc sync cord should work, but its too short

4. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Going to make a strobist one