PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by atrawick, Sep 11, 2008.

1. atrawick

atrawick Guest

I have a Gateway dualcore pc. I am wanting to upgrade the HD's. So can i install Mac OS with my new drives and it work?

2. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Mac OS X will only work on a Apple computer.

3. atrawick

atrawick Guest

Whats different between pc and mac besides OS? I think memory might be one

4. Wileec

Wileec Guest

That question is like asking what's the difference between a Lexus and a Lotus. Sure they are both car brands and sure they both have seats, a steering wheel, an engine and tires, but there is far more that makes each what they are than the basic system elements.

The short answer is, unless you reverse engineer some stuff, and have far more knowledge about the Mac and the Windows box than most service people do, it's not possible to run the Mac OS on anything but a system that Apple produced. One of the brains at MacWorld did it a while back - to show it could be done - but the report was not for the technically faint of heart.

Make the most of the platform you are familiar with, or make a clean break and get an Apple system would be my advice.

5. Doing so would also violate the terms of use in the end user license agreement.

6. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I think most people who think about running OS X on a non-Apple computer are trying to save a few bucks. Most people see the price of an Apple computer and think it's very expensive when they compare it to a bottom of the barrel, lowest spec'ed out pc. When you spec out a mac -vs- a windows pc with the exact same hardware, the price is almost the same. Certainly not enough to sweat over.

The beauty of owning a mac is that you don't have to deal with crashes and freezes or lock ups anywhere near as much. It's a stable system, and you don't have to constantly tweak and fiddle with it. Once you start porting over OS X, you've taken away the whole concept of ease of use and stability. You'll always have to make adjustments and corrections and tweaks. On top of that, you really have to know how to do all that. In reality very few people would even have any idea how to. But at that point why bother running OS X on a non-Apple pc. Just run windows and save yourself the effort.

Whatever money you save by doing this, you'll pay 20 times over in time effort and frustration.

7. atrawick

atrawick Guest

Thanks for answering my questions. I had always heard how Mac's where so stable. So i just wandering if it was just the OS and could be used on a PC machine.
    Thanks Again!

8. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    It is a lot easier to make an operating system stable if you don't have to worry about who's video card, HD controller card etc. is being used in the computer. That is one reason Apple does not have clones. They tried it back in the 90's and it did not work to well.

Bob

9. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I would suggest Apple systems can be more stable for a simple, but very significant fact. One company chooses the hardware and writes the software to work on that hardware.

To be be fair - Microsoft creates an OS and has no utter idea what hardware it will be installed on. So many companies build boxes using all manner of quality in components. Well - that's a disaster waiting to happen. Add to that the security issues of the OS (that is MS's responsibility) and you get the Windows scene. Certainly some brands are better than others, when it comes to Windows boxes. In Mac land, for the most part, an Apple is an Apple is an Apple and it's a match of software designed for hardware they produce. It's not saying Apple is perfect and never produces a lemon, but it's rare.

I'm no fan boy, but I've been providing support and training for Mac users for the last fifteen years, so I get to see the poorer side of things once in awhile.

10. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

Yes you CAN run Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware. But,... If you have to ask "how?" that doing this is not for you. Getting it to work required a lot of technical know-how. You are going to have to understand the boot process used by EFI mainboards. Your Dell likely lakes EFI so you will need to learn about EFI emulator and boot loaders and well, it just continues on from there.

Needless to say you are going to have to make sure your Dell uses the exact same graphic hardware as a mac and that many of the other chips are the same too. Well OK you can get around that too. The source code for some of Mac OS is available. It can be patch and re-compiled. To those of us who develope software for a living, this is all routine butif you have to ask the question it says that you are not up to the task technically.

The next question is "Why?". There are some good reasons one is that you simply want to learn all of the above. You will learn a lot. That's why I got "Tiger" running on my dual Xeon system. Purely educational. I don't use it and deleted after I got it working. Another reason is that Apple does not sell the hardware you want. Apple has no "mainstream" desktop, only some specialty products. If you want a normal mid range tower you have to DIY. Then there is the third reason. You are a kid with no money but all the free time in the world and want a Mac even if you have to make one from junk box PC parts and a pirated copy of Mac OS X.

Apple's EULA says that Mac OS X can only be installed on Apple brand hardware. But there is a big legal question: Can any company tell you want you can and can't do with a product after to buy it? Of course there is copyright law which says you can't make copies of a book or CD and sell those copies but we are not talking about copies here. we are talking about use.

Then there is the question about EULAs in general. EULAs are contracts but is a contract valid if you refuse to sign it? Gosh, darn, I hope not. Apple gives you no reasonable option to refuse the contract. You have to pay before you even get to read it. There is a good argument that it is not enforceable.

All that said. Apple seems not to care at all if you as a hobbyist want to try OS X on a PC. They did go after a company that was pre-installing OS X on PC hardware but that issue is currently in court and not yet settled.

11. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

I don't bjuy this argument because there are counter examples. Look at both BSD Unix and Linux. Both of these OSes run on a far wider assortment of random hardware than even MS Windows. Windows only has to handle PC hardware while BSD and Linux run on everything from huge IBM mainframes to routers, cell phones yes even a wrist watch. BSD and Linux can be stable, more stable than Windows on a 10X wider range of hardware and the people that make and sell BSD and linux have not even one percent of Microsoft's resources.

I think the it's simply historical. UNIX was designed from the beginning to run on a computer that was shared. computers were very expensive and had to be shared. Security was the prime design issue from day one. Windows and DOS grew up in a single user non-networked world. But then Microsoft's business model (It's called "lock-in") demands that every new version of Windows by backward compatable. Windows is chained forever to it's single user non-networked world where stabilty and security were simply unimportant. Microsoft, if it wants to continue it's lock-in can't do a new ground up redesign and break the base of installed software.

The reason is historical/political and not based on the range of supported hardware.

12. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I don't have the technical knowledge to debate the point - and this isn't the place - but I hear my Windows using buddies wrangling with hardware and driver issues and I know that those are almost never issues I have in Mac land. They pull the el cheapo card their box came with and replace it with a more well known brand and the problems disappear. The OS didn't change - the hardware was changed.

And to be fair - there is no ONE flavor of Linux that has been as thoroughly run through the hardware ringer as the Windows OS has to deal with. I'm no MS fanboy - not by a long shot - but I think it is fair and reasonable to consider that it is an OS that is expected to work on every frankenbox to high end prebuilt system and I don't think ANY OS will do that as well as one that is written from the ground up, knowing exactly what hardware it's to be installed on - and even then Apple still gets it whacked sometimes, as a number of G5 users have experienced with the graphics drivers in Leopard.

Again - I won't argue the point too passionately - but I think it is a reasonable point to consider, especially based on all the feedback I've gotten over the years from really knowledgeable Windows support people and users - some of whom have switched over, since they prefer to use their system to working on their system.

Cheers!

13. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Straight and Skinny

Apple does not want people using their OS on anything but an Apple computer. The OS looks for a special chip on the mother board which verifies that it is being installed on genuine Apple hardware. These chips are not available to PC board manufacturers only Apple has them. Trying to get around this system violates the user agreement for the OS.

14. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

No both changed. The software drivers that come with the cheap card when installed becomes part of the OS. That is one of the big problems. Drivers are a major part of the OS and in the Windows world people get their drivers from people and companies they don't know. One of the reasons the card is cheap is because some one saved some money of software driver testing and QC and technical support.

Likely it was not that the well known company makes better hardware. But that their software is better. People will blame the card because that is the thing they can see.

15. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    Ed

Not sure what this has to do with my post?

Bob

16. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Sorry

meant it to be just a post, not a answer to yours...my bad!:wink:

17. As others have stated more eloquently yes you can put OSX on a non apple machine.

If you want more info just google 'hackintosh'. I've been told you can do it with the right patches with only a medium level of difficulty but I cannot quantify that statement. The wiki has decent article on this subject.

My gut tells me that if you find yourself going 'huh?' while reading some of the posts in this thread and the wiki article then it's probably not a great idea to attempt it, at least on a machine you care about that is.

18. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yeah, that's the stereotype.

I crash my iMac approximately as often as I used to crash my PC. I'm a finger-poker type of computer user. If I never did anything with my PC except what was expected, I'd have had much less grief from my PC. And if I never did anything with my iMac except what was expected, I'd have had much less grief from my iMac.

I poke 'em both, and I deal with the resulting grief. I find that under the hood, they're much more similar than different.

Poking yer computer can be fun!!! Or horrible. Or horribly fun!!! :biggrin:

19. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I've been providing Mac tech support and training for the last twelve years. Professionally, I started on a PC and got moved kicking and screaming to the Mac, a few years before that. Once I got to Mac land, though, it was such a different experience, it has been easy to not look back. And I've been able to successfully accomplish far more tasks on my Mac, than I ever could on the Windows systems. And at the end of the day, that really is the point for me. And that has been the experience of a host of friends and customers, too. Friends, who were extremely knowledgeable on the Windows side of things, yet not able to do the same things I could do, on my Mac, with the same ease and level of professionalism in the project. And I've met a lot of people who've decided on their own, often before they contact me, to make the switch and they have been surprised at how simple many things are and how stable a computer system can be. And let's be clear, I'm no Apple fanboy. I have my list of questions and gripes with Apple. For me, a computer is just a tool chosen to accomplish some tasks. For each person, hopefully, they invest the time to discern legitimate strengths and weaknesses for a given platform/computer and maker sure it's capable of accomplishing what is important to them. For some people I've talked to, I've recommended they stick with, or choose a Windows based system, but for most, I feel an Apple based system will allow them to do the things that are important to them with more ease - and sometimes more style and fun.

It's been my experience that most of the bad experiences people have with their computers have been created by the user, as this post suggested. But it's also my opinion that a user ought to be able to push at and poke into their computer, as often it takes some of that to really get a system dialed in for a given task. A well designed system will handle that - a poorly one, not so much. And I see a lot of Apple systems that are not up to the tasks being asked of them - and the people using them paying the price - but that's a part of what helps me pay my bills - helping computer users get out of the messes they often have created for themselves, often out of ignorance, sometimes laziness. Anyway, let all the platforms live - there's room for all!

Cheers!