1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PCIe x 1 work in PCIe x 16?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by D.RicPhoto, Mar 7, 2011.

1. D.RicPhoto

D.RicPhoto

Mar 28, 2009
    IL
    Hello, am I correct in my understanding that a PCIe x 1 card will work in a PCIe x 16 slot?

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Yes it will. And it will work in a PCIe x4 slot.

I just bought an Asus USB3 card. If I had bought a very cheap card that goes in an x1 slot, it also needed a power cable. By buying one that goes in an x4 slot, it doesn't need the extra power cable. So sometimes smaller isn't better.

3. D.RicPhoto

D.RicPhoto

Mar 28, 2009
    IL
    Thanks, I had my computer almost go up in flames because of a bad power supply. Had to build a new one and I have two card that are x1 and one x1 slot, two x16. Has built in USB3 on the back so when more USB3 stuff comes out it should be super fast. I glad you mentioned the powering of the slot. You are very helpful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.