1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PDF conversion/printer

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Kerry Pierce, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Until today, I've been using Scansoft's PDF conversion utility for making PDF documents from web pages, etc. Nuance bought Scansoft and has a newer product than the one I was using, so I bought it, $79 upgrade. Well, the stupid thing won't install, so now I'm in the hassle of trying to get a refund.

That brings me to my question. Adobe's PDF util is vaporware and Acrobat is way too expensive for my needs, so what do you guys use or recommend as a replacement?

I've installed the free version of Primo PDF maker, which doesn't work quite as well as the old Scansoft util, which had a few issues. :frown: So any advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I tried using the search engine to find past threads on this, but apparently I'm not smart enough to use it without getting 4million pages of stuff that doesn't relate to PDF conversion. :redface:

2. Kerry,

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but our company uses CutePDF to convert documents to PDF (cheap solution). The trick is CutePDF installs itself as a "printer", so that any document, web page, etc., that you can route to a printer can be converted by CutePDF.

Here's a link to the free version:

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp

3. http://www.openoffice.org/ has a pdf writer - I find it better than acrobat5 for stuff that has jpegs (not tried a later version of acrobat)

Sil

4. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks, Michael. :smile:

That's the way the Scansoft thing worked. I installed the CutePDF and it works a little better than what I had, so that's cool. :Glasses:

Their PDF Pro version looks interesting as well.

5. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks for the link, Sil. :smile: I'm downloading the whole package now. It would be very cool if it works on MS files, like Excel and Word, in addition to doing PDF stuff. My copy of MS Office is Office 2000 and dunno what I did with the CD. :frown:

6. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    It does Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents just fine. It's free and works on all relevant platforms. I banned MS Office years ago, because OO does all I need (and much more), and in my opinion, better. YMMV.

7. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Yes, it seems so, Tim. I only installed Calc and Writer, but both worked fine on my test documents. Dunno where I've been, but I don't recall having paid any attention to Open Office before, prolly because I had all I needed in office 2000. Until very recently, I had no need for anything but Word, so that's all that was installed.

With OO and CutePDF, I'm a happy camper. :smile:

Now, if I could find a couple of programs that would automagically cull out my dud photos and turn the rest of them into masterpieces, I'd be in heaven. :biggrin:

8. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks! It looks interesting. I'll give that one a try as well. :smile:

9. reyv

reyv

Apr 7, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.