PDF Editor

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Kerry Pierce, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Is there a good alternative to the full blown Adobe PDF editor?

I don't have any need for the program, to justify that much expense. So, I'm looking for a good alternative that will do 99%.

Specifically, what I'm trying to do is edit some PDF government forms, like the passport application, for example.

For some reason, all of the gubmint forms are locked, so you can't input your info and then Save a copy with your info intact. I simply want to be able to remove that limitation.

Any tips would be appreciated. :biggrin:

2. A PDF editing program will not be able to remove the protection. There are methods out there, but just using a PDF editing program won't get you where you want to go.

Why not just pull up the form on your screen, fill it out, and do a Print Screen capture if all you want to do is save a copy with your info. If you can't get the whole thing on your screen, do it in portions and paste in Photoshop or any pano software.

3. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks, Sandi. I was afraid that would be the case. :frown: I've found some tools that supposedly can convert PDF to text or DOC, etc, and will have to try them out.

4. Those programs only convert the locked portions to graphics.... not as easy to manipulate as one would think.

5. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks, Victor. I'll download the trial and give it a whirl. :biggrin:

Thanks again, Sandi. If it converts to graphics, dunno how useful that might be. If it saves a bunch of retyping in the future, it might be okay. If not, oh well. :smile:

6. trublu

trublu

Jul 23, 2007
    nyc
    kinda late but a simple way to to save the form is to install a pdf writer (e.g cutepdf). after filling out the form just print to pdf.