PDF Viewing w/ MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ShadowForce, Jul 28, 2007.

1. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    On Windows, it's quite easy to enlarge the text when looking at a PDF file. However, I haven't figured out how to enlarge text when viewing a PDF file on the MacBook Pro. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. Hi Bob,

What I do is "save as" on my desktop and then open it with preview (which is what desktop PDF's open with normally if you double click it). Preview allows you to change the text size.

As you are finding, there are a few disadvantages to having a high resolution screen (but not many :cool:)

Bob

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Apple key and '+' . . . . :smile:

4. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks Bob - I'll give that a try.

John, I've not found the Apple key and "+" to work with PDF's. Works fine with enlarging the font on a web page but not PDF's.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Working for me. Just tried it.

6. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
  7. Hi Bob,

Like you I just get a beep with the "Apple Key +". I wonder if he has some strange plug-in?

Bob

8. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    That must be it Bob. John, are you aware of a special plug-in that you have to view PDF's?

9. Bob, what program is opening? I use Preview to view PDFs. Try opening Preview, and then opening the PDF file.

I use the Apple Key plus the "+" to zoom in on the document.

10. Hi John,

The Apple Key and "+" zooms in Preview, but not a PDF in Safari. I must "save as" the PDF and then open it in Preview to be able to zoon it.

Bob

11. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    I'd like to figure out a way to enlarge the text without having to first save the PDF to another file and then open in Preview.

My problem is that when I try to view my credit card statement in PDF format, the text is so small that it's virtually unreadable.

12. Hey Bob -

Single click on any pdf file - on your desktop or wherever - just to select / highlight it without opening it.

Then click Apple (command) and i - to "get info".

You'll see a dialog box that gives you a drop-down menu for "open with".

Choose whatever app you'd like to view this pdf file in (and I believe an option to "use the application to open all pdf files).

You can also set the Mac to *not* automatically download pdf files, and simply view them. Of course, if you want to download it, you can save it to wherever.

Hope this helps . . .

Eric

13. waleedy

waleedy

Aug 2, 2007
    Kuwait
    Ctrl and Click ..

W

14. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Eric, Thanks! I'll use this to set a default viewer for PDF's.

15. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Waleed,

Thanks! This works wonderful. Problem solved. :)

16. I assume you have a iMac of some type. With both the MacBook and MBPro, you can scroll the screen if you use two fingers on the track pad. If you hold the "ctrl" key while you do it, you enlarge the text in the window. If you have a 3 button mouse, hold the ctrl key down and roll the wheel.

Chet

17. That's a neat trick. I tried it in Firefox on my G4 Mac Mini it it worked. It works like a magnifier so you loose a bit of sharpness in the text but for a quick peek, it's an easy solution.

18. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    No, I have a Mac Book Pro but I'm unable to scroll the screen when I open a PDF from a web site. I can scroll normal sites such as NikonCafe but can't when opening a PDF.