Peach Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by TOLady, May 1, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Whoa Sandi!!

You continue to make that S3 just sing. This is luscious.

Which lens did you use?

Frank

2. Oh wow, love the detail and range on that shot.

3. What a beauty, Sandi!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Lovely picture Sandi, maybe a bit more space on the right I found my eye kept getting drawn out of the picture at that point it touches the edge.

Martin

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Extremely Pretty Sandi,

Way to go

6. Nice shot, OP. I really like the way the background is black. Was that achieved with a high shutter speed? Again, nice shot!

7. Thanks all for your very kind words. OK, now the truth comes out: this is one of my first shots with my very first digi camera, my good ol' Nikon 990. I've learned so much more since I took this pic, esp about putting more space on the right side! *LOL* I still cherish this camera, and still use it.
    I actually put a piece of black foam core board behind the flower, and this was LONG before the old "FoamCoreBoard Society" started up on DPR *LOL* It was in a local greenhouse hence the diffused lighting coming from above.
    Sometimes you just have to go back through your files and revisit some of your pics ;)

8. Absolutely gorgeous colors on this image. Wish you had left just 1/4 inch on the right.

9. OH MAN!!! What a wonderful shot Sandi!!! :D :D :D

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    so very pretty!

11. Yes, this is indeed a gorgeous view of this exquisite flower. And yeah, it might be a bit better to have a tad bit of space to the right, but then again, I'm not sure that it matters that much for me.

I don't know my flowers, but for me, I get the impression of a beautiful maiden dressed in flowing, majestic gown, turning aside perhaps out of shyness or perhaps out of a certain sadness in the middle of a spotlight as in a tragic opera. The impression would probably work stronger along those lines if the colors were different of the royal variety perhaps or something of a sadder motif -- or maybe even just dimming down certain parts of the flower to suggest a certain more tragic contrast in the lighting.

Anyway, very nice despite my ramblings... :D

Kind regards,

_Man_

12. Thank Gordon, I just might rework it and increase canvas size. I'll have to work the lower greenery but hey, I think the pic is worth the rework.
    Thanks Leigh, and Bryan, great words esp from a guy, as most associate flowers as chic pics! *LOL*
    Thankyou Man, very interesting 'ramblings'.. there's a lot of your personality coming out in this observation of this flower. Quite the romantic, aren't you!
    Thankyou all

13. Really a lovely shot I can't wait to see the rework.

14. Sandi,

Your hibiscus is breathtaking! I reluctantly sold my 990, but it is in good hands. Not only is this image vibrant, but the bloom is very healthy. I tried to capture a magenta hibiscus at work last week and was not able to come close to this. I feel inspired, guess I will wait for the next bloom.

Crystall
    D70

15. Thanks Crystall. Yes, the colour and the health of the plant is what caught my eye. Their blooms change from minute to minute and this one was at it's peak. This was in a park's greenhouse hence the health! Lots of humidity in there so no brown spots on the petals.
    I wouldn't part with my 990 - still use it for different occasions, esp macros, and it feels like an old friend in my hands.
    I love going back to my old pics with a fresh set ot eyes and new PS skills.