1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Peak Design Slide Lite Strap

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by JeeperDon, May 26, 2019.

1. Yesterday UPS brought me a Slide Lite strap. After using it for 24 hrs, I am pretty disappointed. I'm open to ideas on better ways to use it, but it may go back to Amazon in a couple days. The many configuration options they show in the video intrigued me, but in real life it's more cumbersome than the Nikon strap that came with my Z6 (...5 days ago, my first Nikon!!:) )

1) It's really thick webbing, so thick that it never lays flat at the clip end, is always a teardrop shape when you pick up the camera. This makes it easy to block the rear display.

2) To keep the above aspect under control, I tried the strap on the bottom plate only, with two clip disks. That nicely eliminated the problem above, but it's really inconvenient to swap from strap to tripod.

3) The bottom clip is also a PITA to take on/off since it needs an Allen wrench, another thingy to dig out from the bottom of the bag, just to use the tripod for a few shots.

Does anyone else love or hate this strap? Are their better options in brands? Is this all nuts and I should just use the Nikon strap?

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I have the regular Peak design strap. I use it on my second body+lens (either the D5 or D850 and 80-400) so my gear is heavier. I like to wear it sorta cross body with the camera sitting on the kidney area. That way I can walk and move without it swinging around or beating up my hip bone. I attach at the upper corner and the oppposite lower corner. I don't have to take the bottom piece off to mount on a tripod as it doesn't interfere with my Arca Swiss clamp.

My larger strap is heavier and stiff also.

3. I packed the Slide Lite up for it's return trip to Amazon. I put quick release swivel clips on the Nikon strap for now. The easy on/off now will hold me as I research more.

4. I have used Black Rapid straps for years and am happy with them.
    BLACKRAPID

5. I have three black rapid straps for my cameras..they are my preferred straps.

6. Thanks Alex and Bohdan. BlackRapid's Retro model seems to be a functional equivalent to the PD Slide Lite, and has a cool little pocket in the shoulder pad. I like BR's base mount a lot, easy on/off as needed.

7. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    I've used Domke straps for 25 years. Still do. I have been intrigued by the Slide Lite strap because of its quick release system. I don't know, I may just stick with what I know.

8. Have been using Black Rapid straps for several years. Never had any issues. Very comfortable and functional.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.