Peculiar problems with long exposures

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jez, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Hi Folks!

(Posted this in the Technical forum but thought this may one may have more...errr...focus....)

I've just got back from an AMAZING trip to the SW USA (Colorado, Utah & Arizona), but I've stumbled across a few issues.....

I was in Zion NP and came across some shots that I could use my Singh Ray Variable ND filter on to get that "soft water" look. So I had my D70, 17-55 with a Hoya UV filter and the ND on the front.

Most of the shots I got had a strange magenta cast across them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few had a strange black area on the frame which looks like the half-and-half issue reported in an earlier thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any thoughts as to why this happens? I'm confused.....

The EXIF can be seen in this gallery.....

Thanks in advance!

2. Wondering if the first two are issues with the UV and ND being used together? Doesn't make sense but then again, who knows? The third and fourth look like shutter curtain issues. Sounds like a trip to the vet for your pet.

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Hm. Are you certain that the other filter was a UV and not by chance a polarizer? The end results, those with the reddish hues, look like they could come from stacked polarizers, or through a filter combination transmitting in UV. You might also have a shutter issue. Take the camera to a qualified repair shop and let them look over it to spot any faults.

But you did achieve blurry water, though :smile:

4. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    It was just a Hoya HMC UV filter and the SinghRay variable ND. I used the same combination later on my 70-200 and had the same issue (although not the shutter issue funnily enough....). To me, the other strange thing is that it doesn't effect the whole frame, just a diagonal band.

I ended up converting the good ones to black and white.... :wink:

I'll have another play with the ND this weekend.

Earlier in the week I'd been at Antelope Canyon and had to use long shutter speeds there as well, but didn't have half-and-half issues at all. This one came in at 10 seconds:

[​IMG]

Peculiar.....

5. Jez,

I don't know what the black is but the first two look like IR shots to me. How did that happen without an IR filter?

6. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    No idea! Perhaps I've stumbled across a new and exciting method of photography.... :wink:

I didn't have time for more testing this weekend - it's on my to-do list though!

7. If you did stumble across something new, it would be wonderful. Please let us know because I will interested in buying the combination to take pictures like the first couple.

Thanks,

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Sorry to say, I have heard about a red band problems that does occur with the black band. Seems to be a Sensor CCD problem I think. I hop ehtis is warranty. I would Send in the camera with photos to show the problem. I very seriously doubt that the filters are the problem.

Sorry I can't rmember where I have seen this thread on this.

Let us know what you find out.

Best of luck,

Wade

9. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Still haven't tested it again..... :rolleyes:

I'd say that it would have to be something to do with the filters as that is the only common element in those photos. I took over 800 photos on that trip and the only "different" ones came with those filters on the front.

Katz - if it is reproducible, I'll be sure to let you know how much I'll charge for the new discovery..... :wink: