Pee Wee Football

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mike mac, Nov 13, 2005.

1. was able to wander down the street to the 11 year old championship game yesterday at 2:00 PM. Let me tell you these kids are talented and play a very good game of football. All taken with the D2X and the 200-400VR. I had to bump up the ISO to 1600 on several of these shots to get some fast shutter speeds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nice work Mike. I read early that you did the firm wear up grade on your D2X. I just up graded mine. I can't wait to use the camera at a game. You color, positioning, and timing are on the money. Shots like this sell like heck. Some noise is present, what did you have your noise setting on your camera when you bumped the shots to ISO. Was it set to high? Keep posting.

Craig

3. Thanks no it was set to normal, and I processed using NI plugin. I wanted to shoot HI ISO I could have gotten away with ISO 800 but wanted to see how the camera reacted. I shot a night game Friday night and my ISO 3200 were very usable where before the upgrade I wouldn't even try it.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Good Morning Mike,

Each of the images that you posted is very nice with really great cropping and composition. Please pardon my ignorance, but is there heavy noise present or did you apply a filter in post processing to enhance the image? If it is noise due to heavy cropping, the effect is still pretty darned pleasing, if it is due to a filter application...then you were successful in your technique.

Image #1- I wouldn't change a thing. The highlights are well preserved, the crop is perfect, eyes are visible and sharpness is fine if the graininess is what you wanted for the effect that you prefered.

Image #2- The only effect that might be enhance this image is to burn the background to the left side of the image which should draw more attention to the runner.

Image #3- The only unfortunate issue there are the signs on the fence in the background. We are all at the mercy of our backgrounds!!!

Image #4- This image looks fine. Is it possible to clone out the other player's foot entering the frame?

Bottomline here, Mike...you captured these kids really well and I know that they would each love to have a copy for their wall. Nice shooting..........

5. Frank thanks for the in-depth CC I appreciate it and each one of your points is dead on. These shots were taken at ISO 800 and most at ISO 1600 so that is where the noise comes in at. I sort of like it gives a gritty feeling to a gritty sport. I could have shot these at lower ISO but wanted to check out the high ISO improvements as well as the improvements to AF from the upgrade.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I agree with your comments on the noise...I do beleive that it is pleasing to the eye offering a grittyness to the image. Really well done, Mike.

7. Hi Mike,

Very nice set of images here and the noise is not at all objectionable. If you have time I would really appreciate a PM on what settings you use with your Neat Image software. I have got to start using higher ISO's and would like to see how you are cleaning up the noise when you do so.

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Mike :

I particularly like the first shot. I don't know if it's "out-of-the camera" or cropped, but you've managed the flow for composition beautifully. The background's sufficiently OOF to make it drop out, and the specific angle on the young man works well.

Some of the later photos are a bit more complicated with respect to the backgrounds, other people, etc., but they're still quite good captures. And, although I'm not a fan of Photoshopping everything to death, I would actually concur with the remark about cloning out the stray foot in the QB photograph.

As for the endless noise debate, let's all step back a bit and recall great sports photography of the decades. Ask yourselves if the grain meant the photos were any less evocative and wonderful. For me, capturing those moments in boxing arenas, football fields, or at the hocket rink were far more important than the grain. IMO, if it's a question of landing a great sports moment and getting digital noise, take the hit on the noise, and enjoy getting the moment.

And you did get the moment.

Very very nice work.

John P.

9. Hi Mike,

I always admire your sports photographs and these are very good as well. Noise, what noise? Is there any kid involved in this activity (or their parents for that matter) that has ever made a single comment or even asked an innocent question about it? I suspect not...

My personal favorite is #1. I actually said WOW out loud on this one. The composition is perfect, the image is crisp, the young fellow's eyes and the concentration on this face make the picture. Superb!

#2 has an interesting fog to it. Was it really foggy or is it a post-processing artefact? Regardless, this is more evocative of a dream-like state (eg. this is what'll happen later in the day, when I run for the touchdown!)

On the QB pic and #6, I would clone out the body parts that barely make it into the frame, on the left.

#7 is a fine shot too: it's too bad that the foot is missing. A crop higher (eg just below his right knee) would help avoid the feeling of something incomplete, with they eye looking for something out of the picture. This works very well in #1.

Excellent work, Mike. As usual! :biggrin:

10. Gordon Thanks I will PM you later with some info on the NI plugin, I am still trying to figure all this out but will share what I have so far.

11. John
    Thansk for the insghtful comments I agree with the quaterback shot, tough at this pee wee field to shoot where there unobstructed views they limited my access, but I didnt have the time in PS to manipulate these, the ones for the parents will get speical time.
    Yes when it comes to indoor sports basketball, wrestling, hockey you have to deal with dungeon type lighting and have to make do with "gettign the shot" as opposed to comign home empty handed. I am goign to try multible SB800's for my daughters basketball league

12. On the second one I was shooting right into the sun which I find sometimes produces this effect which i could live with out. I will go back and try some of your suggestions I find my biggest weak point is cropping I need to work on that. Thanks for the comments I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.