Peeps In The Snow

Discussion in 'Birds' started by goodrich62, Jan 4, 2006.

1. I have not been in the forums for a while but some things come up that are more important then forums or even shooting :eek:
    Since I've been back I've mostly just been lurking so I thorght I post a few.

The weather here has been pretty bad, but as every bodies mother said if God gives you lemons make lemonade.
    Here is my attempt at lemonade :smile:
    All taken with D70, SB600 (Flash Fill), Sigma 50-500 @ F8 or 9 speed between 30 and 120, ISO200, on a tripod.
    The snow is little blown out in some still working on dealing with the nasty contrast :frown:
    As always critique and feedback welcome

White Throat Sparrow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

House Sparrow
    [​IMG]

Rich

2. Glad to see you back Rich. I sure hope things have been ok with you.
    These are excellent and the snow does not appear blown out to me. very nice detail!
    Dave

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Rich

The snow blowout is really, really minor if it needs to be addressed at all. If you're shooting RAW, it's easily recovered in the latest edition of Nikon Capture...4.4.

Nice shots :)

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rich,

Very nice little peepers. Glad to have you back. :smile:

5. Dave,
    Thanks, Things are working out. Mainly just family stuff my parents are both in their 90s and are requiring some help. It's the main reason I moved from Sunny California to Slushy Connecticut.
    At least California is having a very wet winter so I wouldn't be doing a lot of egret stalking anyway:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  6. Jim and Frank,
    Thanks. Jim they were shot RAW. That gray background is a 20 ft retaining wall holding back the side of a mountain. This time of year I get about 2 hours of sun, and that is weak through heavy trees, so I have to play with WB, Exposure, USM and DDE just to get some good shots that look natural.
    I lot of people knock Capture but for me it has been fantastic I have tried others but keep comming back to Capture I use it for everything but cloning, for that I use PS Elements can't justify the full one

Rich

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    So nice to see everyone feeding our fine feathered friends in the cold and snow >))

Beautiful images. They thanked you with nice poses :>)))

8. Gale,
    Thanks. It’s not all altruism, right now it is the only way I can satisfy my bird “jones” :wink:
    But waiting patiently for them to settle down and pose in 10 degree weather is no fun :frown:
    BTW how do you like the D200 I was seriously tempted to get one but got the bigma instead. Pushed it back to see what the taxman has to say but have pretty much decided to get a good macro and a trip to someplace warm with nice flowers to test it at :smile:
    The 200 will have to wait till 07 or my 70 dies:biggrin:

Rich