Pelican Case 1510 Airline Carry On

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Aug 8, 2005.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. I have used my 1510 on several trips. Although it is heavy when fully loaded, it rolls easy and does a good job protecting the gear, but not to heavy to lift into the over head compartment. I use mine with the padded insert when carring my equipment or some times I remove the insert put my loaded back pack in the case.

Enjoy, Bill

4. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Paul aka MontyDog,

The case with the equipment shown comes out to be around 27 pounds. I guess from what I hear, that would be ok for most american flights but way over limit for many europeon carriers.

Regards

RFC

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Tui

Tui Guest

Pelican cases

You really can't go wrong with Pelican cases. They are heavy but can't be hurt and they truly are watertight. I've had a few capsizes in my kayak and the camera has always come out dry as a bone. A thought I have had with using a case like this when traveling is does it draw more attention from security and more searches because of its rugged/different looks? Paul, that's a good tip with the rocket. I never thought of keeping it in a plastic bag. Thanks for the tip.

7. Doesn't the very idea of a water tight "airline-legal carry-on rolling case" seem kind of... pessimistic, to say the least? :(

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Could be used as a floatation device, no?

:)

9. I have my doubts...

...isn't luggage in an overhead bin hard enough to find at the end of a normal flight?

10. The weight limit in Europe for carry on with most cheap airlines and cheapest fare on majors is 5Kg (11 lb) not including your camera. The allowance on full fare economy on majors like BA is a bit more but who pays that for a max 2 to 3 hour flight when you can travel in the same seat for a fifth the price.
    That was a struggle - I'm using a French AZERTY keyboard at the moment :cry:

11. tjgreen

tjgreen Guest

I've travelled extensively with underwater cameras and dive equipment in Pelican cases, and it's never been a problem - I've gotten a few hand searches of the case, but no more than my briefcase. These things are awesome - my wife and I have two each. Mine have been dropped, banged, shoved, gouged, and submerged, and I've never had anything inside break -they're virtually indestructible, waterproof, and they float. While the one pictured above is pretty slick, you can also get a foam-packed box, and cut your own openings to size; I like that, since everything is kind of cradled in foam. The best part of a Pelican case is, if you're ever forced to check it for weight/space, it's going to come through a whole lot better than a backpack would.