1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pelican headthrow #2

Discussion in 'Birds' started by muralin, Jul 28, 2009.

1. muralin

muralin

Jan 28, 2007
    Redmond, WA
    Pelicans are always fun to photograph. This one shot in La Jolla using a 70-200VR+TC17EII teleconverter on a D300… photographing headthrows are a bit challenging for the following reasons:
    - Headthrow happens very fast - about a second or so
    - Auto focus gets fooled frequently… during the headthrow, as the pelicans neck is narrow, autofocus sees the ocean in the background and starts to hunt
    - The depth of field is shallow (under a foot) and getting its eye sharp is tough as the pelican's head swings forward & backward during the headthrow.

I have been trying to shoot a headthrow since 2005. Never succeeded with my D70 and the 80-400 Nikkor. the autofocus loses the bird and hunts for an object in the background (ocean). 70-200VR autofocus is so fast that it locks on to the pelican even when the headthrow starts and ends in about a second!!!

PelicanHeadthrow.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    well, you certainly nailed the focus on this one. Good shot...I never even heard of a "head throw" before...amazing what you can learn here;) 

3. Had to do a double take to determine which was the top of the head. Very nice capture! Thanks for sharing.

4. Very nice and unusual pose. Excellent shot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.