Pelicans at Port Canaveral

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Here are a few of the pelicans I managed to shoot while at the Port. It was late afternoon with the sun low in the sky to the left. Most of the pelicans were coming left to right and the lighting was terrible. A few managed to fly back the other way and they turned out much better.

All taken with the 300/f4 without the teleconverter, handheld while sitting on the rocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They sure do look like flying dinosaurs! :)

2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Guess I missed this one yesterday, Kevin. Pelicans are in interesting creature to see flying through the sky. I agree they look a little like they're from the dinosaur era!

Nice flight shots!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, these are not bad Pelican shots at all, especially for hand held at 420mm.

Sorry I didn't see them earlier. :wink:

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Kevin

A) I am incredibly jealous of all you floridians.

B) I think these are excellent hand held shots!

5. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    nice shots Kevin! I hope one day I will actually get a decent BIF!!!

6. man those are sharp, beautifully done Kevin. Now I know why everyone was commenting on my white pelicans. LOL

7. Thanks, Don. I guess I posted at the wrong time yesterday....post went straight to the bottom. :cry: It's all good now, though.

8. Well, they were only at 300mm, didn't use the tele. At the port they fly parallel to you rather than over us like at Cocoa Beach. Much easier to deal with. :)

Hey, thanks, co-winner! ;) You're welcome to come down anytime. We can take you some of these good places. The price we pay though, at least this time of year is the killer heat. You can sweat off 10lbs easy! Of course for me that's not a bad thing.

BIF is not so easy. Of course with the big birds it's a bit easier than those rinky-dink, fast flying ones that others post pics of. We should meet up over at Viera soon!

Thanks, Keith! It's amazing what some good light will do! :) Of course the lens is top notch, too, for not being a pro-level lens. Maybe one of these days I'll get a 300/2.8 or 400 or 500 or ?? ;)