Pelicans on the Run

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    My wife and I were on the run home to get our daughter after a short walk at the confluence point here in Missouri. driving home I only had my 180mm AF-D 2.8 prime with me, we saw our resident two pelicans that summer over here right next to the road so I handed the camera to my spouse to grab a quick shot or two. She was shooting out of her side of the car, and if I stopped the car and got out they would have flown the coop. They will stay put if you are in your car, step out and they are gone.

Yes, a bit overexposed on a midday shot on matrix metering. I forgot to set the camera up for the white birds so a few blown highlights,

This day was an experiment, I went out with just one camera and one lens (the 180mm prime.) made things fun and interesting for our walk, but I didn't expect a good bird photo op.

First one original size, second a crop. Shot f5.6 1/1600, Auto WB -2, and spot focus and matrix metering, (should have metered on the birds like I usually do, but like I said my mistake in the hurry, lol, Diane did a good job focusing on their eyes as I told her to do.)

Cheers,

Wade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2005
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wade,

They may be a tad on the hot side, but they are still very nice shots. I've been able to get close to brown pelicans, but never these big guys. I'm sure that you know this, but I'll pass it along. An expert photog friend of mine showed me some very nice shots of some swans that he took. When I commented on how well he had held the highlights, he said 'spot meter the birds and set the EV comp at +1.3'. I've tried it, and it does seem to do the job.

In any case, well done. :wink:

3. Those are impressive birds. The C130's of the bird kingdom.

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks, the car makes a good blind sometimes....lol :)
    I usually EV to around +1 with spot metering for the pelicans and egrets., Most of the time...lol also shot these at f5.6 not 2.8, my confusion on the exif.

As I said, was surprised to see this pair close to the HWY.

and by the way, don't apologize for saying something i may or may not know, others may not know these tricks, and it is obvious that when I get in a hurry I forget all common sense and everything I have learned. lol :wink:

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005