Pelicans, Pelicans, Pelicans, (lots pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks to Frank's pel pics (eng45ine) I ended up going out to see what our wintering Pels were up to, found that our numbers had grown from 200-300 2-3 weeks ago, to now easily several thousand within a small area.

I had a lot of different lighting conditions which gave me a metering workout, from grey skies to cloudy, to sky blue, with and without sun, had a little bit of everything, made for some fun shooting,

all shot handheld D200 200-400VR with 1.7 attached, and usually shot at f6.7 wide open, ISO 200-400, some are cropped a lot others aren't cropped to much:

First a youngster flyby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A trio coming in for a landing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A take off shot:

[​IMG]

Landing in a crowd:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Departure control, right turn requested funny guy ahead:

[​IMG]

just before landing:

[​IMG]

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Wade,

These are outstanding! It's obvious you had a great day of shooting!

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I sure wish I could have been closer to the water, but the ground was way to marshy. Your touchdowns onto the water is sweet. Pelicans in the midwest....who knew?

4. Wade, these are beautiful images, very nicely done. The second landing it a crowed shot is tops.

Louie

5. Very well done. It's easy to blow the whites. Yours are not. Excellent!

6. Nice Series Wade

I see you have a few trained as well

7. WOW, Wade! Never saw so many pelicans before! Lots of 'em! Never would have thought they'd be in Illinois or in your neck of the woods in Missouri!

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Andy, it was a fun afternoon, and it only took a few hours to hundreds of shots.

Yep, lucky to live near the confluence of the Mo and Mississippi, and just think a few years ago it was Eagles in the midwest, who knew!

Thanks Louis, I liked that one too, amazing how they can just tip a feather and miss a fella pel.

thanks Alex, that is one of things I always try not to do, blow the whites, I keep the blinkies turned on and check the histogram frequently, In the old film days I used to either overexpose by mistake or way under expose on purpose to avoid this.

9. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    We are having to much fun sending our "training" pics to each other! I have to work on them landing right in front of me so I don't have to crop much!

Until I started long range shooting 5 years ago, I didn't either, it was when I was scouting for large raptors that I discovered the wonders of the Riverlands area here in MO and ILL.

10. More great captures Wade. I sure love those pelicans. You guys are making me very jealous indeed. Boy it looks like they are hard to shoot with all that white. Nicely done.

11. Wow, GREAT Pelican photos

12. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Way to go Wade,you da man nice shots.

13. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks James, and at times they are frustrating, I probably had 4 differnet specfic settings on this one afternoon based upon the light and clouds.

Thanks

thanks Tim, How is the backyard birds going!

Wade

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding set

15. Wow Wade, great shots!!!

Prior to Frank's pictures, I had no idea that pelicans were found outside of FL! :redface:

I can't even imagine seeing that many together.

16. Stellar shots Wade, excellent my friend!

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very well done set Wade. The 2-4VR did a great job for you one these. :smile:

18. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    thanks Harry!

Can be daunting seeing so many birds, but nice problem to have!

Thanks Frits!

Yep, but I still want a 400 2.8 with VR that only weighs 7-8 lbs! HA!