Penn State Gymnastics: Re-edit

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by StrongSportsPhotos, Jul 15, 2007.

1. After many months of playing with Nikon Capture NX, I'm finally getting alot of it down. I decided to go back and re-edit a photo from the first meet (of this past season) I shot back in January. I adjusted the WB, a little LCH and Levels & Curves, then cropped. I resized and Smart Sharpened in PS CS2.

Mind you...NO NOISE REDUCTION AT ALL!

This particular shot was done with the D200, 85mm 1.4 in available light at the meet. Settings as follows...

F2, 1/320, ISO 320

Really, with all this blabbering around other sites about how Canon is the "Sports Photographers Choice", I'll have to find it in my heart to accept stuff like this. :biggrin: Yeah, I'm bragging! LOL! We Nikon owners are allowed!

It's pretty large.

http://strongdigitalart.smugmug.com/gallery/3152817/1/173133476#173133476-O-LB

John

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is an exceptional image John and you have every right to boast, it is a very well exposed and clean capture. Many people have advised that if Nikon shooters can get exposure settings correct, a bit of modest post work can yield a wonderful image. I tip my hat to the gentleman who brought home this fine gymnastics capture.:wink:

3. Nice capture and excellent results :smile:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice is right:>)))

5. That's a great capture, she looks like she just stuck something well...and is happy w/ the result.

6. John I have just one word, AWESOME! You gotta like that kind of jube shot.
    Steve

7. That is actually at the start of her floor routine. She does a little wiggle dance and pumps her fists, then hits the corner to start her first tumbling pass.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The more i work with Capture NX, the more I love it! HOWEVER, nailing the shot and getting everything right first keeps the post processing to a minimum.

YES, if you get the exposure right or close to, then noise ain't a big issue.

I'm working on more shots and will post to my site and let everyone know.

John

8. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    nice clean image -- you can even make out the veins in her legs

9. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    ISO 320? Geez, I'd kill for light like that at a gymnastics meet. Sure you didn't drop a zero? 'cuz that's where I end up playing.

10. Sorry Randy, but it's ISO 320. Penn State is the best facility I've ever shot in for gymnastics. I've shot at 6 colleges in the past and PSU beats them all!

Here is another from a meet later in the season. I actually did less adjustments to this one than the first. Since it was late in the season, I got my settings down almost perfect.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

http://strongdigitalart.smugmug.com/gallery/3152817#174571387-O-LB

John

11. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I would expect nothing less at ISO 320....looking forward to an ISO 1600+ with a D200 post. :)

12. OK John, so let's see a HARD shot for petes sake! Those are just too good and you can probably show us even better work I'm sure. Jeez, isn't gym an easy sport to shoot anyways? :)

13. Ask and ye shall receive! :biggrin:

http://strongdigitalart.smugmug.com/gallery/3152817#174694820-O-LB

I like capturing more static poses than high action anyway. Colleges tend to post those static pose shots on their websites more often as well as in their media guides. All of the other photographers are going for high action shots anyway, so I want to capture something a little different from them.

John

14. and a FINE job you do at that, indeed! I love the extra effort of the "tongue out" with that shot. You don't often find the high action shots being printed since many shooters just don't understand what the editor wants and what really pleases the eye for newspaper. What you're giving them is very nice and would suit for many purposes.

15. the shot is great but so was the light