Pensive Heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PJohnP, May 7, 2007.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Back to familiar haunts in Odessa, in west Texas, but I couldn't quite find a new angle for my shooting of the black crowned night heron. No fishing, no swooping, and bright sunlight from perhaps not the best direction, but still a desire to use the gear, backlit and blown as things will be.

[​IMG]
    D200, 200-400mm f/4 AFS/VR, ISO400, processed in NC, copyright and crop in PS-CS2

Always shoot.

John P.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very unusual comp:>))
    Pretty though

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gale :

Well, I landed yet more shots later of the BCNH in more "traditional" light. The first shot was blown out pretty badly by the sun above. When I did some minor NC processing with D-Light, the colours took on more substance.

I needed to do some more experimentation with a backlit shot, so this was almost ideal. Even more difficult moments for shooting are an opportunity to help my photography evolve, I suppose. :wink:

Those spots, BTW, are OOF bugs, not crud on the sensor... :Bohoo:

John P.

4. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Now this is my kind of photograph!

5. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    I really like the shot. The composure is very nice.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Andy and Barry :

Thanks for the kind words. Once in a bit, it's a good thing to step outside a comfort zone and try something else. And sometimes, well, the shot's just present themselves, eh ?

John P.

7. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Beautful shot. A great example of less is more.

8. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    That's quite beautiful. Nice job.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    James and Keirin :

Thanks for the kind words. It's fun to have opportunities to take shots like this one.

John P.

10. Well done Sir! showing us that there are always different ways to approach a subject matter. This is very creative and very nice.

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dave :

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I've been trying to work around shooting the same kinds of photos again and again. It's not that there aren't still fascinating things to see again and again to shoot - I captured a burst of shots last night of a BCNH gorging down a catfish - but I don't want to become jaded about my photography. That's a recipe for a person like me to curtail my shooting, which is not a good thing...

John P.

12. Creative composition. The subdue colors of the background is attractive.