Pentax Super ME...?!

So my girlfriend's father gave me a Pentax Super ME SLR with a 28-90 lens because he knew I had a passion for photography. It's a great little MF film camera...and I know how to use them..except what the heck is the "1x, 2x, 4x, 1/2x, 1/4x" markings next to the ASA and film rewinder? I can't figure that out! Thanks so much guys.

That looks like exposure compensation markings...My Canon A1 uses the same type system, sans 4x. Hopefully others can chime in more definitively.

Real Name
Chris
Back in the day, I really wanted a Pentax ME Super! It had push button controls , didn't it? Oh, I had a Dodge Dart back then too.

Shane, take it, put some film in it and shoot it! Look at Steve's (SP77) thread. Film is good.

I also got a 50mm Pentax f/2 SMC A K mount lens on Ebay for like 36 bucks. I hear it's very sharp, among Pentax's sharpest MF lenses. Do you think this will make a good combo?

Back in the day, I really wanted a Pentax ME Super! It had push button controls , didn't it? Oh, I had a Dodge Dart back then too.

Shane, take it, put some film in it and shoot it! Look at Steve's (SP77) thread. Film is good.

I had one, and those push-buttons were cool. Remember the shot in their promo literature; multiple exposure of fingers lightly touching the buttons?

I also got a 50mm Pentax f/2 SMC A K mount lens on Ebay for like 36 bucks. I hear it's very sharp, among Pentax's sharpest MF lenses. Do you think this will make a good combo?

Pentax made/makes fabulous glass. No doubt your 50 will rock.

How the hell do you successfully load film into this thing!?

Download the manual from here. (If the link doesn't work, try drilling down from here.) Yes, Pentax has all its old manuals online. Yay Pentax!

:confused: OK, just checked it, and the image quality is lousy. 4th-generation Xerox time. Here's the loading page from my LX manual (linking since it's a flagrant violation of copyright...):

1017x741 png

My film-loading techniques included folding the end of the leader for better grip, and licking it for same. I think the F3 was fold and the LX was lick. Basically, you jam the leader in between any of the "Magic Needles" and let them engage the sprockets to the left, then wind. Be sure the film doesn't slip out, close the back and get ready to go.

OT: Wow, remember the days of 50-page manuals for a flagship pro body? And that was a big one. Silver cover, 2-color guts (black with orange accent; so very 1998... in 1980).

How the hell do you successfully load film into this thing!?

Yeah! That "roller bearing" film take-up is a bear, ain't it? :biggrin:

My first SLR was a Pentax ME Super. I loved it! I still have it, and the add-on grip, too. The camera needs to be fixed, though. Maybe someday. (And to think I almost bought a disc camera, instead! :eek:)

Latest threads

Top Bottom