People are so annoying...

I was working tonight shooting pictures. Usually when I shoot a story I take general views (GVs) of a location just in case a publication wants an establishing shot of a location. Anyways this couple just happens to get in my picture just as I'm shooting.

I proceed to walk away after getting my shot. The couple comes up to me and ask why I was taking their picture. I tell them I wasn't taking their picture. They then insist that I panicked when they spotted me. I told them, "no I got my picture and just happened to walk away." They then get all paranoid use their cell phone to take my picture. I roll my eyes and walk to my car.

Anyways, people are so freaking paranoid nowadays. I mean if I was really spying on them they wouldn't even know it! I'd be all up on their grill using my D3/50 1.4 AFS and D700/200 f/2 VR total low light stealth! But the fact was, I was shooting with my 17-35 and they were like 70 feet away!

You get on my case but you don't mind you're on CCTV in a market, gas station, freeway, stop light, etc. You don't ask Uncle Sam why you're spying on me? Yet when joe schmoe with a camera takes a photo, we're automatically some perv. So annoying!

You get on my case but you don't mind you're on CCTV in a market, gas station, freeway, stop light, etc. You don't ask Uncle Sam why you're spying on me? Yet when joe schmoe with a camera takes a photo, we're automatically some perv. So annoying!

Same thing happens here. People sometimes get in my face because I'm taking their photo (even if they're not your subject) yet when I point out that there are dozens of tv cameras around it doesn't seem to bother them one bit :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll buy a D300s or a future FX model with video just to say that I'm not taking their photo but filming :biggrin:

after they took your picture with their cell phones, would have been funny to reverse the cards. "Why are you taking a picture of me?" Got all ******, started swearing etc. Wouldn't have helped the situation at all, but sure would have been funny.

way too many self-important pretentious idiots out there.

after they took your picture with their cell phones, would have been funny to reverse the cards. "Why are you taking a picture of me?" Got all ******, started swearing etc. Wouldn't have helped the situation at all, but sure would have been funny.

way too many self-important pretentious idiots out there.
I would ahve askedfor a b-card or at least an address so i could send them a bill for taking my photo as i do not allow my photo taken for free........but a mere $500 will keep us out of court.:biggrin:

Then take a photo of their lic. plate...................

Actually i get this all the time especiall in parks when I am shooting birds and squirrels and some parinoid mother wants to know why I am shooting her kids and they come up yelling and grab your arm or shoulder cause your ignoring them.......I told one lady that I woud forgo the assult charges if she walked off....other wise it would be a photo of her and off to the police station (less than 100 yrds away).........People........I even had a farmer try to keep me from shooting his horse and the deer on his farm....I was on the county road with t-pod and D300+BIGMA and he came up sliding to a stop and yelling at me....I gave him a b-card and told him to go call the sheriff I was going to be here a while....he looked stunned and I told that I was going to get my 2nd camera and take his portrait if he was still in my way when I came back from the cab of my truck........he quickly left and i have not had a phone call or anything from the
sheriff's dept:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Oh yeah....Keep some of these on hand also......Krages Photographers Rights.PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
To paraphrase a wise old photographer type gentleman I once knew,......."Forget 'em and feed 'em fish."

You get on my case but you don't mind you're on CCTV in a market, gas station, freeway, stop light, etc. You don't ask Uncle Sam why you're spying on me?

I mind. It's 1984 already. How long will it be before "they" want to put cameras inside your house? For your own safety, of course.....I mean, if you are not doing anything wrong, why would you object?

The average Joe Schmoe with a camera doesn't bother me at all. It's "big brother" we should be concerned about.

The worst is when they think you are taking pics of there kids. They get all nervous & angry like your a pedifile. Even when the kid isn't even in the picture.

I mind. It's 1984 already. How long will it be before "they" want to put cameras inside your house? For your own safety, of course.....I mean, if you are not doing anything wrong, why would you object?

The average Joe Schmoe with a camera doesn't bother me at all. It's "big brother" we should be concerned about.

Lot's of folks already have the camera in the house, you may be staring at it. The computer cameras can surely be activated from afar, with little you can do about it other than pasting it over with black tape, and pour some glue in the microphone while you are at it.

I would ahve askedfor a b-card or at least an address so i could send them a bill for taking my photo as i do not allow my photo taken for free........but a mere $500 will keep us out of court.:biggrin:

Then take a photo of their lic. plate...................

Actually i get this all the time especiall in parks when I am shooting birds and squirrels and some parinoid mother wants to know why I am shooting her kids and they come up yelling and grab your arm or shoulder cause your ignoring them.......I told one lady that I woud forgo the assult charges if she walked off....other wise it would be a photo of her and off to the police station (less than 100 yrds away).........People........I even had a farmer try to keep me from shooting his horse and the deer on his farm....I was on the county road with t-pod and D300+BIGMA and he came up sliding to a stop and yelling at me....I gave him a b-card and told him to go call the sheriff I was going to be here a while....he looked stunned and I told that I was going to get my 2nd camera and take his portrait if he was still in my way when I came back from the cab of my truck........he quickly left and i have not had a phone call or anything from the
sheriff's dept:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Oh yeah....Keep some of these on hand also......Krages Photographers Rights.PDF

Thanks for the PDF, I'll print out a couple and throw them in my camera bag.

Not all people are like that. My instincts are saying "They are guilty of something".

One must understand that the seeming innocuousness of those video surveillance cameras is so because there is no person, that can be seen by those being photographed, holding them and actuating the controls.

The mere fact that the OP was at just the right spot holding the camera was apparently enough to irk the couple.

I think there's too much testosterone on this forum. :rolleyes: Fear and righteous indignation are an explosive mixture.

People are freaked out because the way the media goes on about the perverted ways an image can be presented. And they can verify it every time they go through the check-out isles in their local market. They're afraid to have their pictures taken by a stranger.

Once you recognize these encounters are about fear, not control, you'll realize that being aggressive in return is a poor solution. Why escalate a minor misunderstanding into a major issue? Of course, if you were trolling for a fight to begin with, go right ahead and get into their faces.

I roll my eyes and walk to my car.

That's a far better approach than some have offered.

I was shooting with my 17-35 and they were like 70 feet away!

I'd say something like... Oops. I was just taking wide location shots for an assignment and didn't even realize you were in it. Let's look at the picture. I'll delete it if it bothers you.

Then I'd hand them a card, and tell them to call me if they ever want a good portrait. :wink:

My recommendation, and it comes from experience, is whenever anyone gives you a hassle over taking pictures say nothing and leave the area immediately. These people are acting irrationally and there is nothing you can say to improve on the situation.

I think there's too much testosterone on this forum. :rolleyes: Fear and righteous indignation are an explosive mixture.

People are freaked out because the way the media goes on about the perverted ways an image can be presented. And they can verify it every time they go through the check-out isles in their local market. They're afraid to have their pictures taken by a stranger.

Once you recognize these encounters are about fear, not control, you'll realize that being aggressive in return is a poor solution. Why escalate a minor misunderstanding into a major issue? Of course, if you were trolling for a fight to begin with, go right ahead and get into their faces.

That's a far better approach than some have offered.

I'd say something like... Oops. I was just taking wide location shots for an assignment and didn't even realize you were in it. Let's look at the picture. I'll delete it if it bothers you.

Then I'd hand them a card, and tell them to call me if they ever want a good portrait. :wink:
Dammit Frank, how are you so nice.

I'm pretty sure there is no way I could have handled it like that.. LOL

I must just look nonthreatening

I go to parks with my grand kids and the D200 with the 70-300 all the time and nobody ever says a thing to me. In all of my years of shooting with all kinds of cameras and lenses other than the occasional "nice camera" no one has ever confronted me in any way.

Try it without your grandkids.

Latest threads

Top Bottom