People have no respect for anything anymore and do the police even care?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williadw, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Today..

Someone threw something from a bridge into my wife's sunroof while she was driving down the highway today. Fortunately, the sunroof was on the back end of the car. She drives a Honda Element.

It shattered the glass but did not fall out.. yet.

She pulled over and called 911 and was told that an office was on the way. He never showed up. Instead, he called her cell to give her is badge number and name for insurance purposes.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  2. August 21, 2008

I'm sorry to read on NikonCafe about what happened to your wife. I'm glad that she was not severly hurt or killed by what ever that idiot threw at her car.

I would suggest that you report the police officer to his/her supervisor for not doing his or her job. What are we the honest citizens paying the police to do? Sit in a donut shop all day? I wonder if this cop was eating a donut when your wife's 911 call came in since you stated it was close to dinner?

Good Luck to you.

Steve Zalewski
    Syracuse, NY

3. Orrrrrrrrr, if it's dinner time, that means it's also high traffic time, which means more people on the road, which means more accidents.

If your wife didn't sustain an injury, then her incident was probably low on their list of calls at the time. Maybe instead of being mad at the police, you focus your anger on the moron who dropped the rock.

Did you expect the police to fix her windshield? Honestly, the police wouldn't have been able to do much even if they showed up.

I hope you didn't insult any members who might be police officers.

By the way isn't this a photography forum?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  4. Don,
    that makes me very angry
    someone died not that far from here.... the very same way
    a teacher, as i recall
    not that long ago

i forget what happened to the moron who did such a thing

i'm happy that your wife was not seriously injured

5. And what do you do for a living?

First off, most police officers are good and honest civil servants and DON'T sit in donut shops all day.

Second, we don't even have the full story of what went on. If she couldn't provide any info other than "a rock fell in my car" then there isn't much, if any, that the police can do.

6. Hey Phil, yes this is a photography forum. But I am sure you are well aware that all kinds of things are discussed on this forum. Nothing wrong with that.

And I agree with you, to an extent. Some of the remarks about police officers eating dinner or being at donut shops are, to say the least, in poor taste.

Just as I think your remark about her possibly expecting the police to fix her windsheild is in poor taste, too. I know you were kidding.

Still, someone throwing something off an overpass that hits a car is a serious offence. Someone could have been killed. Don't you agree?

7. Do police officers have to see the vehicle to file a police report?

A couple kids actually got arrested for throwing rocks on some interstate a while back. The kids even taped it.

8. Sure is, but juvenile delinquents throw stuff off bridges all day long in this country and most get away because it's near impossible to get caught...unless they hang around for the cops.

Like I said, the probability that this cop just felt like gaffing her off is slim to none. He/she was probably on a call that was taking longer than expected or was directed to another more important incident.

You all think if the cop showed up, the case would have been solved.

I like how everyone is a cop and knows how to do their job better.

9. Where I'm from a police officer usually has to be present to file a police report. Might be different in other places. I was just wondering.

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    A reminder folks, note particularly the first sentence from a part of our rules:

11. Phil, no one said they were a police officer. I can assure you that I do not claim to know how to do their job.

You simply insult our intelligence with your insults. Of course I would not expect the case to be solved by the cop just showing up.

And, as I stated before, I do not believe the officer was just blowing her off.

I asked a legitimate question. You are the one who seems offended. Why?

12. Wade, I agree with you completely about some of the demeaning remarks made about police officers.

13. What makes me mad is that they could have done something more sensible, like possibly transfer the call to a county officer to at least write up a report on it. We have tons of county officers here.

Of course I don't expect them to fix the windshield, don't be silly, but the Insurance agent will want to know why she has no police report to give them.

.. and just because she said she was okay.. doesn't mean that was the case.

I am friends with a guy that used to be an EMT part time and he would tell me stories of people who were in accidents who said they were fine and 5 mins later were passed out on the payment.

Also.. doesn't the topic read:

General Discussion
    Discuss non photography or photography related topics that do not have their own forum here.

14. I'm offended because I know what these folks go through every day.

15. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    All I know is that if any of my family were tramatized so and they were informed that an officer was enroute who subsequentially failed to show then I would be receiving an explanation from that officer's superior as to why he/she didn't show.

Andy

16. Fair enough.

But that can be said about any job....:smile:

17. I'm sorry if I offended anyone with the 'dinner time' comment, and I have removed it from the original post.

I stand by the rest of the post though. It was a situation, handled inappropriately.

18. And it's possible they were busy.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to have a police report. Your insurance company understands cops have more serious incidents and can't always make it to every call.

I know this because I worked as a Private Investigator for awhile. I worked with most if not all of the major insurance companies out there and I never heard of a claim denied because the insured didn't have a police report.

I hope venting helped.

19. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    A medal has two sides. I'm sure there are many officers who work very hard and who have dangerous jobs.

And then there's the kind that works in my town. :rolleyes:

I just hope that, somehow, they'll manage to get the kids who did this. It wouldn't be the first time someone gets killed because of this kind of "fun". :mad: