People in Landscape shots using the 14-24

During my recent trip to Thailand I used my 14-24 to capture 90% of my images. Most are beautiful.

I have found though that in the shots where I had people in the image even though the focal point was on them they are out of focus and the rest of the image is nice and sharp. They were very small in the frame, am I right in thinking due to their relative size the focus point would have trouble picking them up and ended up effectively focusing on the background?

Example:

Original shot

8955772664_79c4d06e42_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Full shot 1 (1 of 1) by Iscariotau, on Flickr

Heavy Crop

8955733734_98868f2397_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Heavy crop-6332 by Iscariotau, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect your analysis is correct. Looking at the full resolution crop it appears the point of focus is behind the two subjects. The faces are possibly too small and low contrast for the AF system to prefer over the background. This would be particularly true if you were using one of the dynamic area focus modes.

I am in total agreement with Luke. I do not know if a face detection would have done a difference.
What you just have experienced is one of the many reasons photographers complain about the AF of their cameras erroneously believing it is not working. All AF systems have their limitations so it is very important not only to understand the instructions given by the manufacturer but also to practice the different modalities AF has to offer to know of its limitations.
Something similar is experienced by many photographers with their in camera exposure meter believing that AUTO and matrix are the answer to every exposure challenge. When they do not get the results they expect they blame the camera.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Thanks Gentlemen I was 99% sure it wasnt the camera but I just wanted a second opinion that there wasnt a back focus issue.

Thanks again.

I guess the follow up question is, where was the aperture set? Even with the 14-24, if the aperture isn't closed down sufficiently and there is a wide margin between subject and background, you still encounter dof issues. Probably an obvious point, but I know I've certainly been guilty of shooting while forgetting basic rules - especially when shooting such amazing places!

I guess the follow up question is, where was the aperture set? Even with the 14-24, if the aperture isn't closed down sufficiently and there is a wide margin between subject and background, you still encounter dof issues. Probably an obvious point, but I know I've certainly been guilty of shooting while forgetting basic rules - especially when shooting such amazing places!

Thats a fair point and I'll check this one tonight, however most of the shots were between 6.3 and 8, sometimes the apperture was set to 13

This may not be of help regarding auto-focus but when shooting wide angle I almost always
manualy focus... This alows me to place DOF just where I want it... For me, auto-focus is a
tool I use with longer lenses and singular subjects...

But that's just me, YMMV... :wink:

Mitch you are abolutely correct lesson learned :) I guess the Inlaws and myself we just need another trip to Thialand :)

that one probably isnt the best sample as the aperture was at 3.2 which is not right for what I was trying to achieve but I think the general consensus is right. I was to far away, the people to small and the camera focused on the back ground.

I suspect your analysis is correct. Looking at the full resolution crop it appears the point of focus is behind the two subjects. The faces are possibly too small and low contrast for the AF system to prefer over the background. This would be particularly true if you were using one of the dynamic area focus modes.

I agree to you Miller.Faces look very small in this picture while the background is especially focusing and highlighting.But I think both should be focused.Then the picture would be fine.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom