People pics with the 85/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Dec 8, 2005.

1. A couple of test shots with my new Cream Machine.

1/125s f/1.6 at 85.0mm

1/100s f/1.8 at 85.0mm

In retrospect, I should have pumped up the ISO to get faster shutter speeds, but I was pretty excited at the time. It was my first chance to shoot a people :Crunk:.

2. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Hey Frank, I'm trying to look and just get the red "Xs"..

3. PBase is down yet again... that's why the red Xs...

I bet these are great images UF... :biggrin:

Having said that, PBase came back from the dead, just to prove me right on UF's capture quality!!!

Cream Machine indeed, way to go Frank :wink:

4. Thanks, Panos. Now that I know the lens will take care of the background, I've got to do a better job with the foreground :rolleyes:.

5. Frank, you are kicking butt with this new lens. I am jealous.

6. Man, you will have great times with that piece of glass for a long time to come! Beautiful...

7. Gordon, com'on in... the water's fine :wink:.

Frits, I hope you're right. I'd like to amortize it over a 10 year period.

8. HTML:
    Frits, I hope you're right. I'd like to amortize it over a 10 year period.
    So your lens costs you 80$ a year. Cheap cheap cheap :Smart:

9. Nice bokeh and sharp up to its legend. In your good hands, it will shine for sure.

10. Yeah, but remember, I'm amortizing my 80-200/2.8 and 28-70/2.8 at the same time.

The lens that has paid for itself (several times over), is my 60 micro.

11. Thank you, Dao Dang. It will take a lot of study before I can begin to live up to your expectations, but I'll try my best.

12. Beautiful photos, Frank.

Told you this lens is amazing, especially in the hands of the Magician.

13. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    UF

You are not disappointing us in any way. We expected great and you delivered. That is clearly a lens to put on the list. Enjoy your new adventure.

14. Another pair of samples. The victim is my neighbor.

15. Sweet! Nice, very nice pics Frank. Now, you just have to find the "right" models again... :cool: :rolleyes: :wink:

Btw, I just succombed to LLD again, with my first eBay purchase (from Roberts Imaging, so it's a lot less risky!): it's a beautiful 105 AIS f/2.5, which is a Nikon manual focus classic. It should show up next week and I hope it will be my people/bokeh lens, at least for me to practice that area of the hobby a bit more, before I plunk down for the 85 f/1.4... Yes, I know, it's a bit redundant with the 70-200, but it's much smaller/lighter and it'll force me to think more before pressing the trigger, both with the fixed focal and with the manual focus. :smile:

16. Is that what Bjorn refers to as the Gauss Design? If so, it's listed in his "Best of the Best" hall of fame. I'm looking forward to seeing your work with it!

17. Is that the 105 AIS you can still buy new (from BH anyway)?

18. Phillipe, that's a great choice. The 105 2.5 is regarded as the best lens by many Nikonians.

19. Frank, I didn't mean to hijack your 84 f/1.4 thread... :redface: Yes, I think it's the Gauss design (later model). Should be fun...

Ed, yes, I think it's the same as the one available on B&H, but I paid about 1/3 of that price for a 9+ condition :smile: We'll see, some time next week...

Phil, thanks for your encouragement: now, the wait and then the learning curve! :smile:

20. Congratulations Philippe. Be sure to post a few with this beauty!