People shots with the 300 2.8 VR

This weekend was the first time that I have had the oppertunity to use the new lens much. I love it. We took the kids and grandkids to the zoo on Sunday. I lugged it around for 6 hours but it was worth it.

I think it makes a pretty good portrait lens.

Hannah and Reagan:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know I'm partial but isn't Hannah beautiful.

Reagan:

Ella and Reagan:

Ella loved the prairie dogs, (not a great picture but I liked it):

Well he seems almost a person. I think he likes the camera

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that first shot. That young lady has some very pretty brown eyes.

As for the ape, he kind'a looks like he's standing around a pool/billiard table waiting for his turn to shoot!

Wonderful shots Rex. Personally I love taking portraits with the 300 f/2.8, I think you are only just beginning, once you see how well it does that. Of course it is NOT the lens for your typical studio shoot, but you'll see that you can use it on people lots.
I agree that Hannah is a very pretty young lady and a fine, pleasant person - you have every reason to be the proud daddy that you are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are right... she is beautiful and you have every right to be partial to all these kids... they are all beautiful children.
Thanks Brian.

Wonderful shots Rex. Personally I love taking portraits with the 300 f/2.8, I think you are only just beginning, once you see how well it does that. Of course it is NOT the lens for your typical studio shoot, but you'll see that you can use it on people lots.
I agree that Hannah is a very pretty young lady and a fine, pleasant person - you have every reason to be the proud daddy that you are.
Thanks Frits. I was really surprised at the bokah that it gives.

The first shot is really awesome!
Thank you, Igor. I loved Hannah's eyes in it. Normally when she is looking at me, she starts smiling for the camera, which is great. But I like catching her off guard occasionally.

Nice job, Rex. I'll think about your day at the zoo the next time I see one of those "best walk around lens" threads. :smile:
Thanks, Dave. You know I think I will use it like that again.

You can definately be a long-distance snipper with the new glass. Beautiful shots Rex, even of the ape.
Thanks, Frank. I started to call the thread- Family portraits with the 300 2.8 - But I didn't want anyone thinking it was a self portrait:eek:

You may be partial, but you're also right. They are both beautiful. Glad to see you putting that major investment to good use. There's a learning curve with that big glass isn't there? I rented one for a few days and had a heck of a time with it. Very awkward when you are use to "normal" sized glass.

I wish I had one of my own to practice with!!!

Cool stuff!

Thanks Stuart. I didn't really take your advice. I brought along the 28-70 and 70-200. I should have just left them at home. I managed to stay with the 300. Sometimes I had to back up to get everything framed. But I really didn't want to use anything else.

Alice had her D200 and 18-200 to take most of the family shots.

Thanks Stuart. I didn't really take your advice. I brought along the 28-70 and 70-200. I should have just left them at home. I managed to stay with the 300. Sometimes I had to back up to get everything framed. But I really didn't want to use anything else.

Alice had her D200 and 18-200 to take most of the family shots.
Oh yeah....that's right...we talked about this in another thread. Senior moment!!!:redface:

Beautiful family Rex! I am glad you are enjoying the new lens.

I'm telling you, that ape picture is so good that it is just screaming to be turned into a poster if you can just come up with the right caption. Excellent!

Beautiful family Rex! I am glad you are enjoying the new lens.

I'm telling you, that ape picture is so good that it is just screaming to be turned into a poster if you can just come up with the right caption. Excellent!
Thanks, Mason. He is my favorite animal to photograph at the zoo.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom