People shots with the 300 2.8 VR

Discussion in 'People' started by rbsmith, Apr 30, 2007.

1. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    This weekend was the first time that I have had the oppertunity to use the new lens much. I love it. We took the kids and grandkids to the zoo on Sunday. I lugged it around for 6 hours but it was worth it.

I think it makes a pretty good portrait lens.

Hannah and Reagan:
    [​IMG]
    I know I'm partial but isn't Hannah beautiful.

Reagan:
    [​IMG]

Ella and Reagan:
    [​IMG]

Ella loved the prairie dogs, (not a great picture but I liked it):
    [​IMG]

Well he seems almost a person. I think he likes the camera
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2007
  2. Love that first shot. That young lady has some very pretty brown eyes.

As for the ape, he kind'a looks like he's standing around a pool/billiard table waiting for his turn to shoot!

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I was thinking it looked like a walking stick. But now that you mention it! Good observation.

4. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Rex,

Those images are fantastic. Tempting lens.

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks. I think the lens is a keeper.

6. You are right... she is beautiful and you have every right to be partial to all these kids... they are all beautiful children.

7. Wonderful shots Rex. Personally I love taking portraits with the 300 f/2.8, I think you are only just beginning, once you see how well it does that. Of course it is NOT the lens for your typical studio shoot, but you'll see that you can use it on people lots.
    I agree that Hannah is a very pretty young lady and a fine, pleasant person - you have every reason to be the proud daddy that you are.

8. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    The first shot is really awesome!

9. Nice job, Rex. I'll think about your day at the zoo the next time I see one of those "best walk around lens" threads. :smile:

10. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks Brian.

Thanks Frits. I was really surprised at the bokah that it gives.

Thank you, Igor. I loved Hannah's eyes in it. Normally when she is looking at me, she starts smiling for the camera, which is great. But I like catching her off guard occasionally.

Thanks, Dave. You know I think I will use it like that again.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You can definately be a long-distance snipper with the new glass. Beautiful shots Rex, even of the ape.

12. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks, Frank. I started to call the thread- Family portraits with the 300 2.8 - But I didn't want anyone thinking it was a self portrait:eek:

13. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    You may be partial, but you're also right. They are both beautiful. Glad to see you putting that major investment to good use. There's a learning curve with that big glass isn't there? I rented one for a few days and had a heck of a time with it. Very awkward when you are use to "normal" sized glass.

I wish I had one of my own to practice with!!!

Cool stuff!

14. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks Stuart. I didn't really take your advice. I brought along the 28-70 and 70-200. I should have just left them at home. I managed to stay with the 300. Sometimes I had to back up to get everything framed. But I really didn't want to use anything else.

Alice had her D200 and 18-200 to take most of the family shots.

15. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Oh yeah....that's right...we talked about this in another thread. Senior moment!!!:redface:

16. Beautiful family Rex! I am glad you are enjoying the new lens.

I'm telling you, that ape picture is so good that it is just screaming to be turned into a poster if you can just come up with the right caption. Excellent!

17. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks, Mason. He is my favorite animal to photograph at the zoo.