Peregrine Falcon at LAWD

Had close to three hours watching this lady hunt Common Gallinules at the Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive. She gains altitude and then stoops down and glides across the water and punches them in the head with her talons, circles back real quick and punches them again, and then circles back again for the pick up of the now floating Common Gallinule (but not dead... that will be another thread).

1. PEFA inbound for the floating COGA. This was the first time I'd seen a successful hunt. Huge crop here.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking.

-jack

Wow, John you got some terrific shots of an very elusive raptor. #2 is terrific.

Thank you Louis.
Awesome! #2 is an instant classic, just about perfect flight shot.
Much appreciated.

Terrific images. Not easy to get those of a small fast bird.
Thank you Allan.

Wow! #2 and 3 are excellent!
Thanks Karen.

Agree with other 2 is awesome! Nice work.
Thank you.

Must have been a joy to witness much less to come away with some excellent imagery. Nos 2 and 3 are really well done.
Thank you. When I watched the successful hunt (with binos) and the first two passes with contact... It was something, then used the camera to get picture no. 1. They are awesome to watch.

Nicely done. Looks challenging.
Thank you Bobby. Like so many other birds once you learn where they are and what they do and when they do it... you have a better chance to get some good shots. I now know how she hunts over the water / marsh area and what to look for. I also have been able to figure out where she likes to perch and where she likes to eat. She flew over or right by me several times that morning so that is good (I'm in the right areas). It's a challenge but that's why we do this.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom