Peregrine Falcon "WIRED"

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Dec 10, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    This beauty flew in while I was looking for him / her in his typical haunt and landed on these wires....and sat there for some 20 minutes while I photographed him. It seemed as though he was studying me the entire time...I'd whistle and talk to him / her...it would cock it's head and look at me like I was nuts or something. Finally, it did fly away, but I was of course to close at that point to get a shot.

Anyway...definetly a young bird with bands on both legs...

A look to the left...
    original.

A look to the right...
    original.

An intent stare...
    original.

A wave hello..
    original.

A little flossing action...
    original.

A scratch behind the ears and then it was gone...
    original.

And on his usual perch...another cute little falcon type...a merlin...
    original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Most excellent Jim. I love it when they stay long enough that you can observe their behavior. You got some really interesting images. :smile:

3. Man he is gorgeous what a great series of shots isnt it great when they sit there and let you study them, I saw one flying at work but couldn't see where he went but I have a general idea

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic Jim.

Great to talk to the animals :>)))

5. Wow you are killing me Jim! Incredible Shots! I have never seen one in the wild....

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Tomorrow

If the two peregrines are around, I'm taking the TC off...backibg away and I'm going to try and get some flight shots.

Twice today this bird glided at near stall speed withing 20' of me and it was too darn close to shoot with @ 700mm :(

7. OK, now you're just rubbing it in... :smile:

It really is neat to see a peregrine in such a "casual" series. I wonder if the tags indicate that this juvi was born in captivity then released; if you are able to piece together the numbers on the tags, perhaps someone "in the know" could help trace where it came from.

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great stuff Jim, just great is all I can say !!

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Re: Peregrine Tags

Definetly a juvnile and from what I've been able to track down so far, it's a wild bird banded in the nest earlier this year in NY.

10. Luv the pop to the pics...........look forward to seeing the flight shots, no pressure now Jim. LOL!!!!!

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey Jim,
    I wonder if your falcon sighting is from the Kodak Building nest
    in Rochester NY. If so they would love a report on that.

She is sure a cutie.

Great expressions.
    5 falcons were a success again this year from the Kodak nest. Yes they band them every year.
    Parents names are Mariah and Kaver.

I'll go to the site and see who the band is from , if i can tell.

I went to the site but can't tell which baby it is. Would need numbers from the band...(yeah right) :>))
    Anyway they might be able to identify her if you sent an image to them.. There is a group on yahoo for the Kodak Falcons also.
    I have been following them for the past 3-4 seasons.

Live cam every year and great to see them hatch and fledge. Gorgeous and fantastic bird.

www.kodak.com
    search falcons.

12. Incredible shots, as always, Jim!!