Peregrine Flight Shots and Bird ID Update

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Dec 11, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    First, I'll tell you that the shots s*ck. These birds are faster than pretty much anything I've ever shot and they change directions quickly...so I gave up on EV compensation ans simply tried to get them somewhat in focus and in frame!

Now...the bird has been identified as one of four fledged from a high rise office building in Manchester NH this past season. In the past three years, this is the first of any of the offspring ever to have been reported on after they've left the nest :)

It was 18 degrees this morning..I forgot my gloves...and my right leg went through the ice in the marsh to my knee and I bruised myself up pretty good trying to extricate myself (I am sooooooo glad that nobody was around to see this!) Luckily the camera stayed dry and I still managed these shots after the fact.

They ain't pretty shots, but one clearly identifies this bird as the same on from yesterday. By the way..the last shot isn't a falcon :)

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Hi Jim,

Pbase seems to only want to show #2 & #4, but #2 is a great photo of the Falcon. As you probably know, unless you are shooting jet powered aircraft, Falcon's ARE faster than anything you have shot. Speeds above 230MPH have been recorded!

You might recall one of my very first posts here on NC back in January was about the really lousy photos I was getting of a Falcon that was hanging out on the roof of our condo here in Florida. They are really hard to get in frame, let alone get a good image. This year I have more experience and better equipment, but have only seen the Falcon once for a few seconds going past the window.

Try not to forget the gloves and don't fall in through the ice next time! Not sure how you can even operate the camera under the conditions you describe.

Bob

3. Jim,

Back again, Pbase now is showing the other photos. You complain about focus problems, but you can read the leg tags on an in-flight Falcon... Ask the Mass Audubon folks how many in-flight Falcon shots they have seen where you can do that!!!!

Maybe I should start looking for a large ice bag the next time I see the Falcon fly by my window :) maybe that is the secret.

Bob

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Bob...

You can't have the ice bag at the moment as it's on my shin :)

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Jim for the follow-up on the Falcon ID and which clutch they came from.
    I have inquired to the folks at the Rochester nest for ID as well. Had not heard back.
    Nice job. Yes the are the fastest bird.
    Look foward to your following this Juvenile Peregrin.

Sorry about the Ice breaker brrrrrr
    Be careful and take care of yourself.

The non falcon shot is very beautiful with those red berries. Well done.

6. Jim
    You and that marsh going to increase your life insurance premiums for sure!!!
    Well I sure wish I could take sucky shots like these, they are great. So neat to see the little guy this beautiful bird once was.

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I with others here. I hope if a Falcon crosses in front of my Machine Gun, I can get sucky shots just like these!

the last shot is just great as well, dig those vibrant reds and your comp. :biggrin: