Perfect lens for in home portraits

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Vin2k, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    Would a 90mm be the perfect lens for these types or portraits? Depending on the home I may just want to have the subjects in focus but not show to much of there home in the background. I imagine the Tamron SP AF90mm ƒ/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 will blur the background quite well. I have an 18-50 tamron but at 50 the bokeh is not burred enough for me. Opinions and thoughts would be helpful.

2. Uncle Frank and Ed will be in here shortly and will recommend the Cream Machine.

3. Depends on your wallet, if you have the $, the 105 F2 DC and 135 F2 DC are the premier portrait lenses on a Nikon (oh, and any long telephoto like a 200 VR).
    The Tamron is pretty awesome with it comes to price/performance since depending on the version they're about $300-375 compared to about $750-900 for the 105 or 135.

4. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    I really dont want to spend more than $500 and I think if i have to spend more than that I rather it be a versatile lens(meaning zoom).

5. You should try an 85 1.8D.....or find an 85 1.4D used. I got mine for $750 from Cameta, and it need one cleaning in the 5 years I have owned it @$60, and it's made me tons of money.....

GenoP

Nikon D2Xs ,Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D IF AF
    1/250s f/2.0 at 85.0mm iso200 with Flash
    original.

6. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    The important factors that determine what is focus and out of focus
    depends, amongst other things, Fl of the lens, distance to the subject from the lens,distance from the subject to the background,aperture used.

The rendering of the oof areas ( harshness,circular,hexangonal etc ) also depend on the number and type of aperture blades. Bokeh ( I hope I spelt it
    right ) is very much talked about in this context.

Yes the tamron 90mm macro has excellent bokeh. So does the Nikon
    70-300 Vr. The Nikon prime 180/2.8 AF-D which I have has superb oof
    renditions and used and in mint condition can be had within your budget.

The Nikon 60/100mm macros could be investigated. The Nikkor 85/1.8 D is also a superb lens.

Full-length and H&S shoulder portraits would dictate different FLs and/or
    space to come near or move away from the subject.

Regards.

7. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    If versatility and cost are important factors, the Tamron 90 might be a strong option. Tamron USA has a $90 rebate for purchases through 8/31/07. After hearing so many good things about this lens over the years, I couldn't resist picking one up for $329 shipped after rebate. I haven't used it yet for macro or portrait, but my focus test shots indicate its sharpness is pretty amazing.

8. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Blasphemy! That's not the Internet way.

9. In general, 90mm is too long for in-home portraits... unless you have an unusually large home or are only interested in headshots. For general purpose indoor portraits, I'd recommend you look at a 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, or 60mm f/2.8.

10. pay attention..

Hi Vin(cent?)
    I think to agree with almost all what other said before, but there's another thing you have to be aware. All the lenses they mentioned (50 F1.4/1.8, 85 F1.4/F1.8, 105 F2 DC) KEEP their effective aperture while focusing close. Nikkor 60 (UF, Ed: correct me if I'm wrong, please) and Tamron 90, having a macro feature(*), effectively focus at F2.8 only at infinity, while at very close distances, they are able to stop down to F3/F4/F5 depending on the distance from your subject, so, if you expect to get a F2.8 portrait with one of the two lenses at 2/3 meters from someone, forget it. You will get some awkward aperture (f3.2, f3.8, f4.x; or F3 if you are lucky) but NOT F2.8. This is NOT a problem in macro shooting since to have a significant depth of field with macro, you have ANYWAY to stop down to F5.6 / F8 / F11 and they of course are able to get it. But for portraits there's this little "trick" often passing unnoticed. If your aim is shooting wide open (and, again, NOT for optical quality, the two macros are really great in it, but just for the "F") you should do better getting a 50 or a 85. A whole figure fills the viewfinder at 5/6m with the 50 and about 9-10 with the 85, so if your spaces are too narrow, it could even be interesting evaluating a 35 F2 or a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 if budget is critical. I have it and of course it works.

(*) it's NOT for the macro in itself, but since you usually focus very close to your subject in this kind of photography, the inner barrel comes out more or less and this affects the effective aperture recorded by the camera.

11. This is not true, both my Tamrons stay at F2.8 until about 1:3 focus which is about 1-2 feet away and at 90mm you'll have the person's nose filling your shot. I've done a lot of portraits with it with great success.

This shot is at F2.8 wide open at about 5 feet away
    [​IMG]

Shot removed because I was actually at F4, lol, my bad!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  12. Ok, I believe you, so I guess I have a problem, since mine works at most at F3... I can get F2.8 only focusing very far from the lens...

13. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh

I thought that the Nikkors were specified to be 2.8 only at infinity.
    I have to recheck my manual.

regards.

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

any lens will blur out the background if u get close enough ..and of course some lenses do a better/more pleasing job of it ...question is, do u want double duty? portrait and macro?

tamron 90 @f5
    469270806_f97e50ae22_o.
    and of course it does dandy with flowers and such...
    View attachment 100860

for $350 or there abouts u can't beat it, imho

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ironic, the data from that shot shows the capture @F4, lol
    :eek:

16. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Nuteshack,

U have gone quite lately. Glad to see lovely pics once again.

I thought he wanted to blur his house in the background! My bad!

Take care.

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks for kind words, Tas...;-))

we've been out and about lately....last week at the coast (sponcered by the Children's Cancer Assoc.) and a portion of this week at the Children's Hospital in Portland (Kaylee's chemo). it's quite the ride, the highs and lows of all this are pretty intense but i do get the odd shot in now and then. Photog is something the whole family enjoys and all of us have our own cams...;-))

i think he's after a "portrait lens" that blurs out packgrounds for $500 or less..the only budget lens of this class (that i'm aware of) that blurs out a background simular to the way the 85 1.4/105 dc/180 ect does without excessive focal length for less than $500 is the tammy 90 macro. and u get a legendary macro lens ta boot. an NO-brainer, imho.

bless
    ;-))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.