Perfect Vista, or just another mountain shot?

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Doug, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I think you probably know I liked it, but how about you, does the shot move you?

[​IMG]

2. Not sure if it's just me but seems to have a slightly pink cast to it. If the clouds weren't there, it would be just ordinary to me, but I'm a cloud kinda girl, so I love this! Normally, my eye is very drawn to landscape mode, but portrait works well because of the two foreground trees.

As long as you like it, that's what it's all about in the end, Doug! :smile:

3. Looks like a great view from Clingmans dome. Nice Doug. I do agree, seems to have a magenta cast.

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks for the input. I'll check my settings, it was dialed in with the Blue and Gold filter, but that typically doesn't dial up the magenta. I'll have to see on my raw settings if I've inadvertantly influenced that. But since I shoot raw, maybe, I can make it more than it is here...

Thanks Sandi, I felt the clouds really helped to define the depth of this photo, it's one thing I liked about it.

5. I see the color cast as well; the foreground is a little distracting with half of the barren tree sticking up. I struggle the most with the foreground in landscape shots - we tend to get so excited about the distant view that it's hard to find a foreground element that doesn't take the viewer's attention away.

I don't know if this is near your home, Doug, but shooting this early or late in the day would be another suggestion - would get rid of the cloud shadows on the ridges and allow the viewer to more easily see the layers of terrain.

Sean

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    points taken. I admit, I did concentrate a lot on the cloud alignment at top, I wondered myself about the chopped off view at bottom.

truly, at this time of year, the cloud shadows add more than they take away, as the entire vista is almost dead from winter. It will improve, but then too the distance you can view is rarely this far as Dave can probably attest.

Yes, it is a Clingman's Dome view. Elevation 6600+ feet.